It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• I need help diagnosing a wrist/forearm injury!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
    Ken2016
    (male)

Ken2016 HB User
    I need help diagnosing a wrist/forearm injury!

I'm desperate for some help. I experienced, what I believe to be, a repetitive stress injury about ten months ago. I started doing a workout video called P90X, so I suddenly was doing way more push ups and yoga than I have ever done. I was also doing more bicep curls, pull ups, and I work on my computer a lot, so these could also be factors. But I've been doing these activities since I was 16 (I'm 32 now), so if I had to guess I'd say it was mainly due to yoga, during which I was doing a lot of "plank" maneuvers and such in which I was holding up my body weight with my hands on the floor.

I quit the workout video soon after I started experiencing pain, but I'd aggravate it at work when I'd have to lift heavy things (like a 20 lbs box). Now I've cut out all lifting and even light lifting (I won't even hold, say, a frying pan). I have done practically nothing with my hand/wrist since about mid-October, so I've given my wrist a solid three months to heal.

I saw an orthopedic surgeon and he was puzzled by my injury. My wrist had a full range of motion that didn't cause me any pain, so he said it was probably more of a upper forearm injury. I've never experienced numbness in my wring or pinkie finger, so he ruled out an ulnar nerve problem. I've had X-Rays done; nothing is broken. He suggested an MRI, but I don't have the $1,500 in my budget for a test that he said may reveal nothing.

I have located a very tender spot, so I have some hope that someone else can help me diagnose this. It is in my left arm. Very close to the wrist, but I guess you would still call it on the back of the forearm. It's not quite in the middle of my arm, but just to the left, in line with the ring finger. When I press down on this spot, it is very sore and tender.

Holding something heavy hurts it, and I'm sure I'd feel pain by doing a curl with a 5 lbs weight. It feels awful when I torque it and I can really feel it when doing ulnar nerve exercises (like turning a plate with the one hand), but again the doctor said this was not an ulnar nerve problem.

The only thing useful he recommended was a longer forearm brace. This has helped in decreasing the amount of times I incidentally stress the problem doing light household work and stuff, but I torqued it and hurt it the other day just by putting a backpack on, so I'm not sure if the longer splint is doing anything.

It would bring me great relief just to find out what the problem is, so I can learn about it and learn ways I can help with the healing. Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: I need help diagnosing a wrist/forearm injury!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken2016 View Post
    I'm desperate for some help. I experienced, what I believe to be, a repetitive stress injury about ten months ago. I started doing a workout video called P90X, so I suddenly was doing way more push ups and yoga than I have ever done. I was also doing more bicep curls, pull ups, and I work on my computer a lot, so these could also be factors. But I've been doing these activities since I was 16 (I'm 32 now), so if I had to guess I'd say it was mainly due to yoga, during which I was doing a lot of "plank" maneuvers and such in which I was holding up my body weight with my hands on the floor.

I quit the workout video soon after I started experiencing pain, but I'd aggravate it at work when I'd have to lift heavy things (like a 20 lbs box). Now I've cut out all lifting and even light lifting (I won't even hold, say, a frying pan). I have done practically nothing with my hand/wrist since about mid-October, so I've given my wrist a solid three months to heal.

I saw an orthopedic surgeon and he was puzzled by my injury. My wrist had a full range of motion that didn't cause me any pain, so he said it was probably more of a upper forearm injury. I've never experienced numbness in my wring or pinkie finger, so he ruled out an ulnar nerve problem. I've had X-Rays done; nothing is broken. He suggested an MRI, but I don't have the $1,500 in my budget for a test that he said may reveal nothing.

I have located a very tender spot, so I have some hope that someone else can help me diagnose this. It is in my left arm. Very close to the wrist, but I guess you would still call it on the back of the forearm. It's not quite in the middle of my arm, but just to the left, in line with the ring finger. When I press down on this spot, it is very sore and tender.

Holding something heavy hurts it, and I'm sure I'd feel pain by doing a curl with a 5 lbs weight. It feels awful when I torque it and I can really feel it when doing ulnar nerve exercises (like turning a plate with the one hand), but again the doctor said this was not an ulnar nerve problem.

The only thing useful he recommended was a longer forearm brace. This has helped in decreasing the amount of times I incidentally stress the problem doing light household work and stuff, but I torqued it and hurt it the other day just by putting a backpack on, so I'm not sure if the longer splint is doing anything.

It would bring me great relief just to find out what the problem is, so I can learn about it and learn ways I can help with the healing. Many thanks!
    It could be that you pulled a tendon or a muscle in the area of where you have pain. An ultra sound test would be able to pick that up. So ask your doctor for an ultra sound, it's way cheaper than an MRI.
    I hope you find the cause of your pain & wish you well.
    Haydena.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

Fl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB User
    Re: I need help diagnosing a wrist/forearm injury!

Sounds like tendonitis, even a small tear can cause pain and inflammation. Ice and anti inflammatories will help with pain and hopefully it will heal since you are resting it. Doctor could send you for occupational therapy, they are excellent at helping people with injuries like this.

Closed Thread

Tags
    forearm, wrist