It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Possible failed surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
    era12
    (female)

era12 HB User
    Possible failed surgery?

Hello. This is my first post and I just want to say hi and thank you all for sharing your stories. It is always so helpful knowing someone has been where you have been.
    I am 48 and I have arthritis in both thumbs and my connective tissue apparently is pretty much gone... So I had right thumb cmc arthroplasty ligament reconstruction in April 2015. He also took out a portion of the bone in my thumb and instead of using tendon he said I would create scar tissue to cushion my bones instead of rubbing. I hated recovery. I had a hard cast over the metal pin that stuck out of my hand. It was horrible. But after it came off and the constant pain was gone I was ecstatic. I was anxious to get the left thumb done so I could just get both surgeries done so I wouldn't have to take off again from work for another surgery. I thought I would save time. But my surgeon thought I should wait.
    Before surgery I was in severe constant pain even while not moving at all and so still having a little pain when using, 4 months later I returned to work. I work with spreadsheets and write literally all day long. As the days go on the slight pain started getting worse and worse.... skip to 5 months later and I am back to the severe pain while at rest again. Some days are better than others and the more I use my hands the worse the pain is. Sometimes at night I wake up in pain and can't get back to sleep.
    This is causing me severe depression. And I am extremely reluctant to continue with the left hand surgery which is scheduled for late March.
    The surgeon said "Some surgeries just don't work" and had me fitted for a horrible hard plastic type cast. So he says I am just out of luck...

I don't know what to do. I need to know if anyone has been through anything like this and what I should do. I need any opinions or comments. I know the final decision is mine but I am ready to throw in the towel and file for disability. I have a great job too but I have fibromyalgia, and I also have arthric knees which need knee replacements but the same surgeon said I am too young for a knee replacement and suggest I loose weight. I am only 48 and feel like giving up. I am such a mess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

Fl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB User
    Re: Possible failed surgery?

Please consider seeing another hand surgeon...or two. Perhaps a second surgery could be done creating a space for tendon interposition where the trapezium was removed...or fusion might be possible. In addition, a consult with a pain management doctor could be helpful. Have you had any injections in your knees? Don't give up....keep seeing help......and keep us posted as to how you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fl0werP0wer For This Useful Post:
    era12 (03-01-2016)
    Old 02-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I agree. I would wait on the second surgery and perhaps find someone else to do it. Get another opinion!

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    era12 (03-01-2016)
    Old 03-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
    era12
    (female)

era12 HB User

Thank you for your suggestions. I have thought about getting a second opinion but everyone always tells me Drs stick together and they don't want to work on each others patients. At this point it is worth a shot though. Your right, the worst they could do is tell me what I have already heard.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
    teg01
    (female)

teg01 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by era12 View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions. I have thought about getting a second opinion but everyone always tells me Drs stick together and they don't want to work on each others patients. At this point it is worth a shot though. Your right, the worst they could do is tell me what I have already heard.

Some doctors within a certain specialty stick together. My rheumatologist referred me to a hand surgeon and I had cmc arthroplasty May 2015. Interestingly, I have had the same symptoms as you and along a similar timeline. I found out that cold and shoveling heavy snow caused the joint above the cmc joint is the problem. The warmer weather has calmed the pain, but my gets a lot of fatigue and my inner forearm aches from it.

I am going to talk about it with May hand surgeon next week. I need a shot in my left thumb joint so that I can delay another surgery. The other question that I will ask is about tendons around the surgery site. My rheumatologist was not comfortable giving me a steroid injection without a diagnosis. So, my long-winded answer is that it may be additional arthritis or tendinitis or failed surgery.

I hope that you get some relief soon.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #6
    John clan
    (male)

John clan HB User

I also think you should go for second opinion.I to had same problem but visited another surgeon and it worked for me.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
    era12
    (female)

era12 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teg01 View Post
    Some doctors within a certain specialty stick together. My rheumatologist referred me to a hand surgeon and I had cmc arthroplasty May 2015. Interestingly, I have had the same symptoms as you and along a similar timeline. I found out that cold and shoveling heavy snow caused the joint above the cmc joint is the problem. The warmer weather has calmed the pain, but my gets a lot of fatigue and my inner forearm aches from it.

I am going to talk about it with May hand surgeon next week. I need a shot in my left thumb joint so that I can delay another surgery. The other question that I will ask is about tendons around the surgery site. My rheumatologist was not comfortable giving me a steroid injection without a diagnosis. So, my long-winded answer is that it may be additional arthritis or tendinitis or failed surgery.

I hope that you get some relief soon.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
    teg01
    (female)

teg01 HB User

Thank you for your kindness. It turns out my cervical spine disease is causing the pain and weakness. I am still looking at my options and will avoid surgery if at all possible.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teg01 View Post
    Thank you for your kindness. It turns out my cervical spine disease is causing the pain and weakness. I am still looking at my options and will avoid surgery if at all possible.

Sorry to hear this is your problem. My dentist was able to avoid spinal surgery by having acupuncture done by a physiotherapist (I know that in different locations different people do acupuncture, but in Canada this is common). His trouble was not in the cervical spine, but it might be worth looking into?

Old 07-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by era12 View Post
    Hello. This is my first post and I just want to say hi and thank you all for sharing your stories. It is always so helpful knowing someone has been where you have been.
    I am 48 and I have arthritis in both thumbs and my connective tissue apparently is pretty much gone... So I had right thumb cmc arthroplasty ligament reconstruction in April 2015. He also took out a portion of the bone in my thumb and instead of using tendon he said I would create scar tissue to cushion my bones instead of rubbing. I hated recovery. I had a hard cast over the metal pin that stuck out of my hand. It was horrible. But after it came off and the constant pain was gone I was ecstatic. I was anxious to get the left thumb done so I could just get both surgeries done so I wouldn't have to take off again from work for another surgery. I thought I would save time. But my surgeon thought I should wait.
    Before surgery I was in severe constant pain even while not moving at all and so still having a little pain when using, 4 months later I returned to work. I work with spreadsheets and write literally all day long. As the days go on the slight pain started getting worse and worse.... skip to 5 months later and I am back to the severe pain while at rest again. Some days are better than others and the more I use my hands the worse the pain is. Sometimes at night I wake up in pain and can't get back to sleep.
    This is causing me severe depression. And I am extremely reluctant to continue with the left hand surgery which is scheduled for late March.
    The surgeon said "Some surgeries just don't work" and had me fitted for a horrible hard plastic type cast. So he says I am just out of luck...

I don't know what to do. I need to know if anyone has been through anything like this and what I should do. I need any opinions or comments. I know the final decision is mine but I am ready to throw in the towel and file for disability. I have a great job too but I have fibromyalgia, and I also have arthric knees which need knee replacements but the same surgeon said I am too young for a knee replacement and suggest I loose weight. I am only 48 and feel like giving up. I am such a mess.
    Were you able to get a second opinion? I am scheduled for the surgery using the tendon in July. My hand physiotherapist said my surgeon gets the best results of any in our area (several cities), so that gives me some confidence. I asked the surgeon if she ever did any less invasive surgeries for the thumb arthritis, and she said no.

Let us know what you decided with your second hand and how everything has turned out.

All the best.

Closed Thread