It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Ulna Shortening This friday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #16
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User
    Re: Ulna Shortening This friday

Got my cast off today. There's still a gap in the bones on x rays, the bridge has started to close partially but is still definitely showing.

My doc didn't use the method I see most often with the two bones shoved together with a screw connecting the two. He left the aforementioned gap between the two with three screws on each side. 5.5 weeks l out is this about normal? I won't be getting PT for about another month(my next appt, June 27)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #17
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User

Seems early I was in a long arm cast for 3 months then short arm.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #18
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I was casted for 6 weeks. I had the bones placed together and they were showing as healed on the x-ray. Why the gap left in your bone? I thought the purpose was to remove bone to shorten it. Is the ulnar bone itself shorter in the x-rays taking into account that gap? What did they tell you about your use and activity as your gap heals?

I started PT the week after my cast came off.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #19
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

Yeah it was definitely shortened. Not sure why he used this method but there was/is definitely a gap. Everything's still going fine, but in most cases there's a screw going diagonally between the two bones. Here there was a small sliver which is slowly closing. 2 weeks to my hopeful final followup

Old 06-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #20
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

How are you doing?

Old 09-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #21
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

So my osteotomy site is fully healed finally, healed slower than normal according to him. Probably my fault, I didn't always have the best diet and would forget citracal sometimes. But we're good to go now. Site is good, wrist area is healing nicely according to him. Thank you all for all your help and advice.

Incase anyone has any insight, my doc said my loading exercises and to do push ups with dumbbells, also no dips. But I was just about to go do some push ups with dumbbells and that doesn't make sense to me. Dumbbells like || would be essentially the same motion as dips for the wrist, and dumbbells like this - -would be the same as a heavy bench press, which he said no to. Anyone know what he meant by "loading" exercises?

Old 09-19-2016, 12:09 PM   #22
    MrTear
    (male)

MrTear HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Ulna Shortening This friday

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfrs View Post
    Pain never came ever fortunately. 23rd was the last pill I took since I didn't see any reason with no pain. I actually went back and scoped your post cameragirl before I posted. Has everything gone well for you?

I'm headed to the doc tomorrow (10 days post op) to either get a splint/fiberglass. Someone who had surgery done by the same doc told me he doesn't like hard casts, hoping that's true.

All in all everything's been good. Expecting lots of answers tomorrow on my personal recovery time, and some better x rays of post op, the one they gave me was really a pretty horrible view, didn't even look like the gap between the bone was closed at time of x ray.
    I got this done 19 days ago and for me being 19 its causing discomfort more than pain but the only bad thing is that it was on my right arm.

Anyway hopefully it heals well

Last edited by MrTear; 09-19-2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old 12-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #23
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrTear View Post
    I got this done 19 days ago and for me being 19 its causing discomfort more than pain but the only bad thing is that it was on my right arm.

Anyway hopefully it heals well

Hope your doing well! My recovery was painless, just annoying the entire time. I'm fully recovered now in my opinion, and my arm is stronger than ever and has no pain in the wrist area. It was a slooowww process in the gym however, so if you work out... definitely take it slow. I'm talking about 3 lbs at most slow. I do get a tugging/annoyance pain when I have my arm Palmface up(whatever that is pronate/supinate?) Doc said that isn't really gonna go away and it's just the plate. I might try to get it removed when my year comes around

Closed Thread