It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Basal Joint Fusion - Mini-Tightrope arthroplasty on Aug 26th

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #1
    thumbszy
    (female)

thumbszy HB User
    Basal Joint Fusion - Mini-Tightrope arthroplasty on Aug 26th

Hello,

I'm a 50 y.o. female with Basal Joint Arthritis in both hands - one more advanced than the other. After several years of cortisone shots and wearing braces, I had a consult with a surgeon at Mayo Scottsdale, AZ. He does both Fusion and Arthroplasty and in my case, he strongly suggest Fusion. He says based on my age, activity level (grooming dogs, remodeling projects), etc, I'd do better with Fusion in terms of overall strength and durability. He says that many people "wear out" their Arthroplasty and end up having to have a Fusion anyway and in my case he feels a Fusion will last me my lifetime. Having said all this, he'll do whichever procedure I choose and does both procedures all the time.

I'd really love to hear from folks who've had Fusion and/or those who had a failed Arthroplasty. Also, what does your hand look like after the Fusion? Does it look disfigured? Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #2
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    re: Basal Joint Fusion - Mini-Tightrope arthroplasty on Aug 26th

I've had arthroplasty on both thumbs but they are doing well (knock wood) so I can't personally address your question but I wanted to wish you much luck in choosing your path. I know it will be a difficult choice and I hope you can connect with someone who has been in your shoes.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
    thumbszy
    (female)

thumbszy HB User
    CMC arthroplasty with Mini-Tightrope

Hello,

I just had a second opinion with a surgeon at the Mayo, MN regarding my basal joint arthritis. Everything else I tried; splints, cortisone, anti-inflammatories, has failed. I have consistent pain in my left (non-dominant) hand and the right is pretty painful, too, but not quite as severe. I'm female, 54 yr old.

Anyway, the Mayo, MN surgeon suggested removing the trapezium and instead of LRTI, using a mini-tightrope system of steel wire that holds the remaining joints/bones in the right place. Apparently, there's a potential for shorter time to start using the hand again. I've done a lot of research and this doctor has incredible credentials. He has made it clear, though, that all the options have painful recovery and to make my decision based on my gut and which procedure I feel is right for me. Not an easy choice!

The first doctor I saw at Mayo, AZ wanted to do fusion over LRTI, based on my age. Both the Mayo MN and the Mayo AZ surgeon feel that LRTI has potential to "slip" and leave a gap where they removed trapezium, causing some loss of strength and discomfort and that based on my age, might not give me as long lasting result.

This is a very tough decision. Has anyone else had Mini-Tightrope arthroplasty? Or been offered the option? Any thoughts you can share?

Thank you! I'm glad I found this forum.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
    thumbszy
    (female)

thumbszy HB User
    mini-tightrope on Aug 26th, need some tips

I've booked myself for mini-tightrope at the Mayo on Aug 26th, but I'm so nervous and second guessing myself. The first surgeon I saw recommended Fusion, due to my age (54). My left hand is in constant pain and the right (dominant) is about half as bad and getting worse.

It's so hard to find testimonials on mini-tightrope. So glad to have read about some experiences, here.

Anyone that had the surgery? If so, how are you doing now? Will you be having your other thumb done in future? If so, would you go with mini tightrope ?

Last edited by Administrator; 08-11-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #5
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

Fl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB User
    Re: mini-tightrope on Aug 26th, need some tips

Well, surgery is indicated when you get advanced, you are smart to have this taken care of, it will not get better on its own and I know how painful it is. I had lrti 3 1/2 years ago at age 61 and after the recovery I have had full strength and no pain. Six months to get strength and full motion back, but I think that is true of all thumb surgeries. A really good outcome and I was told it will remain stable for my lifetime. I had skilled occupational therapy and the surgery is standard at the medical school in St Louis....Washington University. They did not offer the mini tightrope so I don't know much about it, you are smart to do some research, but it is pretty new, isn't it? If I was offered a fusion I would probably do that, but trust in the surgeon is a key component in this decision. I am sorry I can't be more help, but I wish you speedy healing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fl0werP0wer For This Useful Post:
    thumbszy (08-13-2016)
    Old 08-13-2016, 04:40 AM   #6
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: Basal Joint Fusion - Mini-Tightrope arthroplasty on Aug 26th

I had LRTI on my left thumb about 1 1/2 years ago. I did experience some relief for awhile but I now have the same degree of pain that I had pre-op. I think many people do continue on post op with little to no pain. I hope you are among them.

Tess

The Following User Says Thank You to tess201 For This Useful Post:
    thumbszy (08-13-2016)
    Old 08-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User

I had the arthroplasty but its only been 4 weeks so I can't really help much.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 PM   #8
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User

Thumbszy,

I hope you've had a successful surgery!

I had LRTI done July 13. I asked my surgeon if she did ever did fusion...or anything less invasive...she said no. It seems the only surgery she offers for thumb arthritis is LRTI. But she has a very good reputation and I've been told she gets very good results. But she also tried to tell me I'm too young at 54, and that it may fail later in life. I've read they usually last 15 - 20 years. She also did not guarantee that I would be pain free.

Please let us know how things go for you!

Old 08-31-2016, 07:17 AM   #9
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Neither of my hands have functioning, pain-free thumbs. l had LRTI on my left thumb but it is now right back to the pre-surgery state so I certainly don't want the same surgery on my other thumb. I'm waiting and hoping they will come up with something else, possibly less invasive as well.

If anyone hears of new and innovative surgeries for this problem please let us know.

Tess

The following user gives a hug of support to tess201:
    stamm678 (08-31-2016)
    Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #10
    Lorin74
    (female)

Lorin74 HB User

In Jan of 2016, I had an Arthroscopic with Synovectomy & Trapezial Excision with Tightrope (right thumb). It has been a year & while I'm able to use it, I don't have as many fine motor skills as I thought i would. The bright side is that I have more dexarity than fusion. I'm 42 and my Dr explained the majority of the surgery is reversible. He believes a better solution will be available within the lifetime of the band. Another bright side, the pain has substantially been reduced. It does ache when the weather acts up,.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Blessed

Closed Thread