It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Upper arm injury

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
    Blackjack1
    (female)

Blackjack1 HB User
    Upper arm injury

A week ago now I injured my right upper arm. I was pulling clothes from the laundry basket and heard what I can only describe as a tearing sound followed by pain in my upper arm. It hurts just below my shoulder and also down through the main muscle, I have a swollen bump on upper arm and swelling which extends into my hand, I am very restricted to how I can move my arm without very bad pain. Ibuprofen tablets don't help at all. The only thing that helped the pain was one day during the week when I managed to bandage it but it's very difficult to bandage your own arm, particularly the upper part. Initially I used a crepe bandage from half way up my forearm, my elbow and up to my shoulder but it didn't help much. I then put a length of tubigrip over the crepe bandage, folded double thickness. I tried extra tubigrip instead of the crepe but it didn't feel so supported and was more painful. This restricted the amount I could bend my elbow and move my arm and helped reduce the pain but it's very hard to apply yourself. Also, my hand swelled up then. Any advice anyone? The bandaging seemed to help the pain a lot but is so hard to apply. I eventually extended the bandage down to include my wrist and hand to stop them swelling but being bandaged from fingers to shoulder seems a lot even though it helps the pain. Been resting it on pillows or in a sling as so painful if I move it.
    Should I go to hospital, should I continue with the bandaging and if so how much of it. Really need help as in a lot of pain. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User
    Re: Upper arm injury

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackjack1 View Post
    A week ago now I injured my right upper arm. I was pulling clothes from the laundry basket and heard what I can only describe as a tearing sound followed by pain in my upper arm. It hurts just below my shoulder and also down through the main muscle, I have a swollen bump on upper arm and swelling which extends into my hand, I am very restricted to how I can move my arm without very bad pain. Ibuprofen tablets don't help at all. The only thing that helped the pain was one day during the week when I managed to bandage it but it's very difficult to bandage your own arm, particularly the upper part. Initially I used a crepe bandage from half way up my forearm, my elbow and up to my shoulder but it didn't help much. I then put a length of tubigrip over the crepe bandage, folded double thickness. I tried extra tubigrip instead of the crepe but it didn't feel so supported and was more painful. This restricted the amount I could bend my elbow and move my arm and helped reduce the pain but it's very hard to apply yourself. Also, my hand swelled up then. Any advice anyone? The bandaging seemed to help the pain a lot but is so hard to apply. I eventually extended the bandage down to include my wrist and hand to stop them swelling but being bandaged from fingers to shoulder seems a lot even though it helps the pain. Been resting it on pillows or in a sling as so painful if I move it.
    Should I go to hospital, should I continue with the bandaging and if so how much of it. Really need help as in a lot of pain. Thanks
    It sounds like you have either pulled a muscle or torn a tendon in your upper arm & you really need to go to your GP or to your local hospital where you would see an orthopedic doctor. The way you describe your pain & the fact that it has not got any better, means you need medical help. In the meantime, you can apply an ice pack, always wrapped in a thin kitchen towel.
    I wish you well.
    Haydena.

Closed Thread