It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Trapeziectomy and suspension surgery recovery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-23-2016, 04:47 AM   #1
    LindaVille
    (female)

LindaVille HB User
    Trapeziectomy and suspension surgery recovery

12 weeks ago I underwent a trapeziectomy and suspension surgery. I have been out of the cast and then splint for several weeks now. I have the fine dexterity motions back so I can touch the ends of my fingers with my thumb with relative ease. Gripping is still a bit of an issue as I have not regained much strength in that motion however my biggest issue is swelling and stiffness, along with aching. I am still not able to make a complete fist because of the restrictions due to the swelling, nor can I do a full upward pointing thumbs up for the same reason. I continue to ice in the evenings because this feels good and relieves the aching but I am feeling discouraged by how long this is taking. When will this swelling subside? Anyone have any experience with this type of surgery and post-operative swelling? Will it get better?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2016, 05:47 AM   #2
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User
    Re: Trapeziectomy and suspension surgery recovery

Is this surgery the same as LRTI? Ligament reposition tendon interposition?

I have just had this done two weeks ago. The trapezium is removed and a tendon is cut in the arm and pulled up to act as a spacer in the removed bone's place.

I've just posted in the arthritis forum, if you want to read my long story.

I'm sorry you're having this trouble, and hope you will improve soon. My fingers are only a little swollen, but my thumb has become more swollen since the cast was put on yesterday. Hopefully someone who has already been where you are will post. There are a number of old posts on the arthritis board about thumb surgery, but I don't recall if there was anyone with the problem you describe.

Closed Thread