It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• nerve pain around my entire thumb area

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User
    nerve pain around my entire thumb area

I could actually use some support myself. I did search but all the posts I saw were years old. I am in the second week of the removable cast and am very frustrated with the nerve pain around my entire thumb area. My doctor failed in explanations after and before surgery. I have no advocate This has been quite an experience so far. Recovery seems like its never coming and I still have to get my left hand done. Any words of comfort are appreciated. My fingers are still swollen and don't quite bend all the way. Of course there is pain if I move my hand the wrong way when the cast is off for washing. Its kind of scary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

Fl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB UserFl0werP0wer HB User
    Re: basal joint arthroplasty

Let me reassure you...everything you are experiencing is normal...swelling, stiffness, pain...you about 4 weeks postop, very early days. I also had burning nerve pain, it is due to the surgeon moving the nerves around during the operation, it aggravates them. A small percentage of patients get a higher level of pain from this. This surgery takes months to recover from, it is a step by step process and can't be rushed. But, if you rest, elevate and ice your hand, and don't overdo, it will help. Don't try to bend your fingers, dont force your thumb in any way. When do you start occupational therapy, where I live they start at six weeks. Do only the amount of excercises they advise, ok? You will get there, can you tell yet that the arthritis pain is gone? Keep the cast on as advised and don't move your hand or fingers while it is off, too early.Remember that it will heal, you will get your motion and strength back....in months, not weeks. The burning pain is not fun, but it will go away.
    Two more things...you are overusing your left hand, it might hurt more for a while And, remember to move elbow and shoulder through range of motion several times a day so they don't get weak.
    Surgeons are not talkative, but they have assistants you can call with questions or to seek reassurance. And your physical therapist will be very helpful. The older posts here were a great help to me when I was going through this. Hope this is helpful!

Old 08-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #3
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User

Flower Power, thank you for giving me some confidence! I am kind of worried that I am in so my pain still but you have eased it some. The nerve pain is bad because it is all over my thumb, below the thumb and all around the base of my thumb. It just won't go away My 5 week apt is next Tuesday to see the surgen then I go right to the therapy office. I am very much afraid as my hand doesn't feel like its ready for therapy yet. Should it still hurt so much right before therapy? My fingers of course are stiff but if I move my wrist or hand the wrong way the pain is intense, is this normal?

Old 08-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

There is a wide range of healing for this and maybe all surgeries. But, yes at 5 weeks it is normal to still have pain and swelling. Your therapy will start with gentle movements and then you will proceed step by step to continue to heal and get strength and motion back. Some lucky people have little pain and for some of us it takes longer for the nerves to recover. When you are allowed, you can fill a bowl or sink with warm water and gently move fingers and wrist which will feel good. I used ice for months, esp after therapy which can cause some extra soreness and fatigue at first. Keep in mind that your hand has been rebuilt and it will take a while for your nervous system to learn how to adapt to the new structure. Plus, you're hand, wrist and forearm have weakened a bit from non use. Don't be discouraged if you can only move fingers and wrist a little bit at first, you will get there at your own pace but need to be patient. Surgeons don't give you the whole picture, in my experience, which is why it is helpful to read the posts here. Hand in their and v keep us posted.

The following user gives a hug of support to Fl0werP0wer:
    ginadoll (08-22-2016)
    Old 08-22-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User

Hi Flowerpower, I have a follow up appt tomorrow and I think I start therapy too. Wish me luck! The nerve pain is slowing (real slow) going away.

The following user gives a hug of support to ginadoll:
    AnnaBarbara (08-22-2016)
    Old 08-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
    Fl0werP0wer
    (female)

Yes, would love to hear an update. My forearm, BTW, was weaker than wrist and hand for while.....this should be part of your therapy, also shoulder, if needed. Tip....don't overdo and don't try to force wrist or thumb, have to proceed gradually.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User
    Re: nerve pain around my entire thumb area

Gina,
    How are you doing? Are you still wearing the removable cast? How much do you wear it? Has the pain settled down? I find my skin is really sensitive in spots. What is your therapy like?

Thank you for the input and support, FlowerPower!

Closed Thread