It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• afraid surgery got messed up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #1
    AnnaBarbara
    (female)

AnnaBarbara HB User
    afraid surgery got messed up

I had LRTI surgery 5 weeks ago and am afraid it got messed up. I was doing well and then I may have used my fingers too much and now I have swelling again and my hand feels weird. Do you know what the signs are if the surgery fails? I can deal with a setback but am not sure how I would handle it if the surgery got messed up. Is it normal to make progress and then things get worse?

Thank you for any help!

Last edited by Administrator; 08-27-2016 at 01:04 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to AnnaBarbara:
    ginadoll (08-22-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2016, 06:53 AM   #2
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User
    Re: basal joint arthroplasty

Dear Anna. I am in week six and my hand and fingers are still swollen so you are most likely ok. Try not to panic, I know how hard it is, I have had many thoughts and doubts also. I don't think we realized the impact the surgery has on the entire hand and even arm. My arm is so weak and I swear my skin looks like its hanging off it in a nasty way I start therapy tomorrow and I'm looking forward to getting better. I think week 5 was a turning point for me. Less nerve damage pain and I am moving my fingers better. It drives me crazy i cant do things like wash my hair with two hands, dry my hair, shave and putting on my makeup or tweezing my eyebrows. Omg its so annoying lol. I look awful So Anna, don't worry about the swelling, it will subside in its own time. Are you wearing a cast? My doctor told me the swelling goes away faster when you get to the point your not wearing it anymore.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #3
    AnnaBarbara
    (female)

AnnaBarbara HB User

Ginadoll,
    Thank you so much for your replies! I appreciate them very much and they are very reassuring. I'm in a removable cast and see my surgeon Wednesday which will be six weeks. Like you, my arm is thinner and the skin is saggy. My hand feels more like an appendage than a hand and I am so sick of using one hand for everything. Also, the hand without the surgery has its own issues which have gotten worse with over usage. I'm trying to be patient and to focus on the long term when I hope things will be much better. I would say that I also was not fully prepared for the length of time recovery would take and how fully disabling this has been for the one hand/arm.

Since I wrote, I have good and bad hours each day. Sometimes there is little pain and the swelling goes down. Other times, my hand swells up and it hurts, fingers are stiff, etc. I get most depressed when my hand is really bad and then my other hand also is in a lot of pain. I will be SOOO glad when I can get my surgery hand back in action again (and I am choosing to believe it will happen some day!)

Thank you again and I send you a hug and good wishes for recovery as well. You helped me when I was having a bad time and I really appreciate it!

Old 08-23-2016, 05:24 AM   #4
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User

Anna you sound like me, sick of being one handed I couldn't help but smile when I read your reply. I woke up today and my and was really swollen but seems to be feeling not to bad. I am anxious for my appointment today, I will keep you posted.
    Have a great day!

Old 08-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User

OT went fine yesterday, although it was light my hand seemed extra swollen this morning and quite stiff. I am however very optimistic for a good recovery. I have to keep reminding myself its a long process. No more splint, yay!!! So annoying it was!
    But I do feel a bit insecure without it, it was like my protector lol. I'm sure in a few days I'l have forgotten all about it.

Closed Thread