It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• basal joint arthroplasty surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
    Subruk
    (female)

Subruk HB User
    basal joint arthroplasty surgery

Hi,

I had the basal joint arthroplasty surgery. surgery on July 1st. It's such a long recovery.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-27-2016 at 01:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User
    Re: basal joint arthroplasty

Hello Subruk, nice to meet you. My surgery was the 15th. After 5 weeks I'm finally seeing a wee bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I have a follow up appointment today and start therapy. Yay!! I'm so over being one handed, although my left hand is next

The Following User Says Thank You to ginadoll For This Useful Post:
    Subruk (09-04-2016)
    Old 09-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #3
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User
    Re: basal joint arthroplasty surgery

How are you doing, Subruk?

Old 09-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
    Subruk
    (female)

Subruk HB User

Doing ok, Going to therapy, still struggling with the incision being so sensitive, having arthritic fingers is making my recovery harder I think. Thank you for asking.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User

What do you do in therapy?
    I had my surgery on the 13th, and only went once, had my splint made and was shown exercises to do at home. I'm not scheduled to go back until Oct. because of the distance to the hospital,but even if I lived closer, she was only going to have me check in once before that.

I hope that sensitivity goes away soon - for both of us!

Old 09-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #6
    Subruk
    (female)

Subruk HB User

I go to physical therapy 2 times a week. After being in a cast for 6 weeks and now this brace, I'm learning to bend my wrist, fingers and thumb again. Have to get full range of motion back.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User

Hmm. Sounds the same as what I'm doing at home four times a day! Or are they manipulating the joints for you (passive movement on your part)? Hopefully in the end we'll have the same results of full motion.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:12 AM   #8
    Subruk
    (female)

Subruk HB User

Yes, they are manipulating my wrist, thumb and fingers to bend in each joint, they also massage my hand. They put my hand in this sand machine, it blows hot sand around the area that's hyper-sensitive, along with numerous exercises using small pegs that I have to pick up and put back into a peg board using my thumb and pinky to grasp each peg. My thumb shakes terribly and the pegs go flying, I laugh each time! What kind of therapy are they having you do at home?

The Following User Says Thank You to Subruk For This Useful Post:
    Crafter417 (09-13-2016)
    Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User

Thumb and pinky! Sounds like good progress! They have me bringing thumb to index finger, and once I got that I moved on to middle finger...not instructed to, though. I know what you mean about shaking!
    They also have me moving all the joints, 8 reps, four times a day, but actively, not being manipulated. This week I was told to begin to get my thumb folded in across the palm. Can't even get close yet! They did not tell me to, but I've also been massaging my hand, wrist, and scars. The sand sounds interesting! I've been thinking about getting out an old peg board since I've read about others using them in therapy. In the mean time I've been folding a little laundry and washing light dishes.
    Keep up the good work and I'm sure the pegs will fly less in time. I'm glad you can laugh about it! :-)

Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User

I think its ok to do little things like massaging your hand or bending fingers without being told to, I know I did. Nothing is broken in there so its ok, just don't go playing baseball lol, little things are fine. Sounds like you are getting there little by little. Keep up the good work! We will both get there before its time to shovel snow)

The Following User Says Thank You to ginadoll For This Useful Post:
    Crafter417 (09-13-2016)
    Old 09-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #11
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User

I'm using that sand machine too, pretty neat huh!

Old 09-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #12
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

A tip from me, who has had both hands fixed. Take a large bowel of hot water,immerse your hand into the water, seeing that water covers hand & wrist. Wiggles fingers & rotate wrist. Do this for at least 10 minutes 2 or 3 times a day. Remove hand, place on soft towel, dry hand & smother hand in with a good hand cream & rest.
    One of the reasons incisions aches is because new skin is forming & that skin is very dry so you need to moisturize it as much as possible. There is a very good homeopathic ointment which is chemical free, called Traumeel, It is for swelling, bruising & pain. Traumeel can be used every hour on the incision, as long as the stitches have been removed.
    It is also very good to sleep with your arm raised on several pillows for the blood to flow back to the heart plus it is good for any swelling.
    I wish you both well.
    Haydena.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haydena For This Useful Post:
    Crafter417 (09-14-2016)
    Old 12-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #13
    Jbeaucha
    (female)

Jbeaucha HB User

I am scheduled for surgery on January 13, 2017. I am having the surgery on my right (dominant) hand. The Dr said I should be able to drive and return to work in one week (Surgery on Friday, splint removed and cast put on the following Friday). Hope to be back to work Monday the 23rd. I am nervous a bout this after reading the boards and the long recoveries of others. I am an accountant, and work at a computer. I know my typing will be slow, but we have a lean team and I need to ensure I am back before month end. I am afraid if I do not do this now, I may not have another opportunity. I would like to get the left hand done in September. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 12-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jbeaucha View Post
    I am scheduled for surgery on January 13, 2017. I am having the surgery on my right (dominant) hand. The Dr said I should be able to drive and return to work in one week (Surgery on Friday, splint removed and cast put on the following Friday). Hope to be back to work Monday the 23rd. I am nervous a bout this after reading the boards and the long recoveries of others. I am an accountant, and work at a computer. I know my typing will be slow, but we have a lean team and I need to ensure I am back before month end. I am afraid if I do not do this now, I may not have another opportunity. I would like to get the left hand done in September. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    It takes longer than 1 week! The pain of the surgery usually lasts for 1 week. It takes up to 3 months & more, to recover fully. I was not allowed to use my hand for 4 weeks, tho I was allowed to move my fingers, but not my thumb nor my index finger. I have never heard of recovery after just 1 week. I learnt to write & type with my left hand when my right hand was in a cast & I suggest you do the same so you can return to your work.
    Wishing you good luck for your surgery.
    Haydena.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #15
    Jbeaucha
    (female)

Jbeaucha HB User

yes, I understand that. The dr said I would be able to drive as long as I was off my pain meds. (I can also have my husband drive me that second week if needed as he works from home). I am already trying to practice doing things with my left hand - I have read your blogs in detail (thank you for sharing all of that information - it will be very helpful) I will not be very efficient at work using just my left hand, but I will try and tough it out. I had diverticulitis surgery in 2011 and was off 3 weeks (instead of six). I hope I am able to power through this as well. As I am only 52, I will be working at least another 15 years. As I am a computer all day, having the thumb pain in my dominant hand needs to be corrected. I have trying conservative treatments for the past two years (aleve, braces, cortisone shots, etc). I am hoping this is a long term solution. Do you know if there is a useful life for this surgery or how long it lasts? I heard 15 -20 years which also makes me nervous as I have heard there is only the once chance to correct this. Thanks again, Judy

Closed Thread