It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• surgery July 13

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #1
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User
    surgery July 13

Hi all! I had my LRTI (basal joint thumb) surgery July 13 and have been posting about it over in the arthritis forum! I was hoping to find some current support. It's nice to be able to talk to others going through it at the same time.

My doctor's approach is initial splint and tensor bandage over dressing, removed along with stitches at two weeks, cast for four weeks, then removable splint (molded plastic and Velcro) for six weeks. She said, "You won't like it, but it will protect your thumb." I got that yesterday.

I have had much less pain than I expected. It didn't really start until I got my cast, and even so, it is fleeting. Along with the brief shooting pain, which I thought had gone away until I got the cast off yesterday, I've felt what feels like a minor skin burn. Only with the cast off, now I realize It's not the skin, which is numb, but deeper.

Last edited by Crafter417; 08-31-2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Clarification, removed reply to another member to their own thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crafter417 For This Useful Post:
    ginadoll (08-28-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
    ginadoll
    (female)

ginadoll HB User
    Re: basal joint arthroplasty

I am 55 we had our procedures two days apart. I can honestly say I had no idea what I was getting myself into. As of today my fingers seem less swollen yay! But my hand still shows signs of swelling and around the base of my thumb. My forearm is sore too, is yours? I can make a fist but it all feels so tight, its the strangest feeling. There are some little things I can finally do again after six weeks like put my contacts in with my right hand, tweeze my eyebrows (praise God) lol, and FINALLY was able to shave my left armpit lmao. I know that might be too much information but it was really annoying and I'm so happy now I can hold a pen and write, type very well too. Things I can't do; open draws, open fridge, open car door, you know....all the hard stuff. Trying to dry myself after a shower with only my left hand has made me cry a few times. I have the same arthritis in my left hand and it makes it almost impossible.

Anyway I am very optimistic and plan to be back to normal as soon as time allows me to. Let me know how you are doing, tell me what you are going through, do you have help? (I don't) Oh and what instrument do you play?

Have a great week, Gina)

Last edited by Administrator; 11-26-2016 at 05:42 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ginadoll For This Useful Post:
    Crafter417 (08-29-2016)
    Old 08-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User
    Re: basal joint arthroplasty

I haven't had much swelling in my fingers, but my thumb and wrist are still swollen. Back of hand, too, but not over the incision! Maybe from the pressure of the splint? Less swelling today than the last few days. I've bee massaging at least four times a day when I do my exercises.

My forearm is not too bad...it did initially feel weird, but I practiced making a fist while still in the cast, and that may have helped. My wrist, though, is very stiff. It began to hurt sometimes in the cast...hoping it's normal and not more arthritis. Twisting the forearm is still a bit stiff, but that seems to be loosening more quickly than anything.

You are doing amazing things for being two days behind me. How long has your cast been off? And how much are you wearing a splint? I thought I saw that in an earlier post, but it seems to be gone now?

My right hand arthritis is not as bad as the left was, and with so little activity (one finger typing, no crafts or music to speak of...cello, btw), it hasn't bothered me much since the surgery. One reason I had my pits lasered and electrolysis on my brows was the arthritis. So, I'm good there!

My surgery hand fingers were able to do more than I thought with the cast on, but I'm protecting that hand more now. I can barely touch my thumb to index finger...no way I could write yet if I were left handed. I managed to carry a cookie today, though! I do have help, thank goodness! My husband has been great, but also good at making sure I get up off the couch to make my own lunch most of the time. I learned how useful my elbow, feet, teeth are, etc! I was telling a friend this in my husband's presence, and how one thing I wished he would do, but knew better than to ask for, was toweling off after a shower. He said, "Two words. Drip dry." :-) Yeah, that's a tough one, and my right hand hasn't even been bothering me. It is easier out of the cast and plastic sleeve now, at least I can use my left fingers.

Did your right thumb end up shorter? Mine is quite a bit shorter, about 5/8 inch.

Spending too much time on the couch watching Netflix, time to go for an evening walk now. With the cast I didn't walk as much as usual because it always ended with an uncomfortably tight cast.

The following user gives a hug of support to Crafter417:
    ginadoll (08-29-2016)
    Closed Thread