It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Failed surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Failed surgery

I had basal joint arthroplasty almost two years ago. I did have some initial alleviation of pain but now I have more pain in my hand and wrist than I did prior to surgery. I did get a second opinion last year because the pain was so intense. I was told the surgery looked fine (from a new MRI) but that sometimes it just doesn't work. I guess this means there is nothing more that can be done. I view this as a failed surgery. Any thoughts?

Tess

Last edited by tess201; 09-20-2016 at 06:35 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to tess201:
    stamm678 (09-20-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    Re: Failed surgery

Tess, I'm sorry the surgery didn't work out for you. I had mixed results from my two surgeries. One was great - I'm pain free with my right hand. With my left - I have new pain because of arthritis between the first and second metacarpals.

Have they x-rayed your hand recently? Since there are so many bones in the hand & wrist, it could be that there is more degeneration. If so, I don't know if there is any treatment. My doc told me to come back if my arthritis gets worse, so that implied there might be something they can do.

Last edited by mod85; 09-20-2016 at 07:14 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to stamm678 For This Useful Post:
    tess201 (09-20-2016)
    Old 09-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Hello again!

I'm surprised to hear this as I thought you were doing well - with both hands. Yes, I imagine there is more degeneration, but what to do? If you hear of anything let us know.

I appreciate!

Tess

Last edited by mod85; 09-20-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User

I'm sorry to hear you are both having more pain. Tess, I know it would feel like a failed surgery if it didn't result in long term pain relief, but my doctor told me ahead of time that there was no guarantee I wouldn't still have pain. :-(

I had the surgery mid July. Strangely, I didn't have any pain to speak of for the first two weeks while in the post surgery splint and tensor bandages. Four weeks in a (non-removable) cast I had some, but it was brief and I never took the prescription pain meds. But once I started working on mobility, this last month, I have pain similar to pre surgery. I'm hoping that is normal, but I'm also feeling like it might be coming from the next joint in my thumb now as well as at the original joint. Maybe this is normal because both joints are being pushed to regain mobility? Did either of you experience this at this stage?

My surgeon tried to dissuade me from the surgery because I'm only in my mid 50s, and there is a good chance it will fail later in life. I am just hoping that by that time -sooner for your sake- there will be something else to help in that event. I read that the LRTI repairs usually last 15 to 20 years.

I would like to know what either of you find if there is further help, either for the previously repaired joint or any adjacent ones. I know they can fuse joints in the hand to reduce pain, but obviously you would lose mobility and have limited use. I doubt they can do that where the trapeziectomy has already taken place.

Do keep us posted.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #5
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User

I found that pain increased once I got into doing the therapy stage (weeks 6-12) but after about 6 months, I was noticeably better than pre-surgery. I think recovery just takes a long time. I was 56 when I had my surgeries done but my surgeon indicated that it should last for a lifetime.

The Following User Says Thank You to stamm678 For This Useful Post:
    Crafter417 (09-30-2016)
    Closed Thread