It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• thumb surgery inquiry

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #1
    dearmary
    (female)

dearmary HB User
    thumb surgery inquiry

Hi. I had the Eaton-Littler Thumb reconstruction surgery on 9/21, about 5 and a half months ago. The operative notes say "right thumb basilar joint arthroplasty" and Right flexor carpi radialis tendon transfer to stabilize the right thumb carpometacarpal joint".

I am wondering if there is any one else out these who has had this surgery, and generally how long the recovery was, and whether they had any wrist pain along the way.

My recovery has been fairly steady, but slower than I imagined. I wish I had some clearer marching orders, and some sense of projection forward.

When can I expect to able to write again?

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback at all.

The following user gives a hug of support to dearmary:
    Crafter417 (11-01-2016)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User
    Re: thumb surgery inquiry

Do you mean 5 and a half weeks ago? I had this surgery in July. I had not heard it called by the name you used, so I'm glad you described it! It's also called LRTI...ligament reconstruction tendon interposition.

I have written some fairly detailed posts of my experience on the arthritis board, and there are some really helpful older posts you can find by searching, too.

I'm told it takes a year for full recovery, so hang in there! But my hand started to feel more "normal" after about two months. I was taking my splint off to watch tv and do my exercises. When I went out for coffee with my husband and forgot to put it on, I took that as a good sign!

I had surgery on the left thumb, so I can't answer your writing question. I started to crochet, which means holding something in my left hand between thumb and middle finger, at about three months post op.

My thumb is still sore sometimes, and still working on mobilization of the joints and getting my strength back.

Are you in a cast? A splint? Make sure you keep moving your arm and shoulder and fingers!

Last edited by Crafter417; 11-01-2016 at 10:13 AM. Reason: More info

Old 11-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
    Crafter417
    (female)

Crafter417 HB User
    Re: thumb surgery inquiry

I forgot to say, I did have some wrist pain in the cast. It was quite stiff when the cast came off, but I asked physio for advice to mobilize and that mobility came back faster than my thumb. Still not 100% as flexible as my right wrist, but getting there. It crackles some on rotation, which is a little disconcerting. I forgot to mention it to the hand physio, so it's obviously not bothering me that much!

Closed Thread