It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Weakness in arm and numbness in fingers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
    kati218
    (female)

kati218 HB User
    Weakness in arm and numbness in fingers

I need some help and support.
    I woke up one morning with pain in my shoulder and as the day progressed my right arm started getting weak. 3 of my fingers also were somewhat numb.
    I went to the chiropractor and acupuncture and they both thought it was a pinched nerve.
    Fast forward 4 months. I could tell that it was acting up again...let me say it never completely went away including the numbness in my fingers
    Both still go with a pinched nerve. I went to my doctor yesterday and she agrees with them.
    I am so scared. I want this to get better and I want to feel like myself.
    I also feel like I'm getting little zings everywhere lately
    Will it get better? What can I do?

Last edited by kati218; 02-04-2017 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Adding Info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Weakness in arm and numbness in fingers

Have you had xrays done?

I can relate....most has to do with activity, although I did injure my neck i a fall when I was young.

Seems a pinched nerve, but is it from spasmed muscle or from vertebra or disc bulge?

Check out your body positioning during waking hours, how you tend to sleep, exercise, drive, etc. For me, a sneeze or turning my neck too quickly can cause spasm.

Have you tried a back relief medication or advil or ibuprophen...?

Feel better soon,
    q

Old 02-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Forgot to ask.....have you had discomfort behind your shoulder blade and upper back?

q

Old 02-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
    kati218
    (female)

kati218 HB User

Thank you for the message. Not really any longer. When I first woke up that day I was having extreme pain in my right shoulder and upper back.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

And what adjustment did he doctor do for you?
    q

Old 02-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
    kati218
    (female)

kati218 HB User

I'm not sure what you mean by what type of adjustment?

Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You mentioned you saw the chiro....did you have an adjustment? I meant where and what kind.....
    When I go, I have along my back. Initially, he does accupressure, then Lower back is on break-away table.
    Mid back and upper back is me face down but with mid portion of the table not locked so there's flex. If it doesnt adjust, I lay on my back with arms crossed across my chest and he puts his bis behind and puts weight on my arms to adjust the upper back.
    My neck is while I'm sitting in a chair. My shoulders are adjusted as well as elbows, wrists and fingers.

What was the suggestion of treatment by your chiro, and have you been going regularly?

q

Old 02-06-2017, 04:02 AM   #8
    kati218
    (female)

kati218 HB User

Thank you for this. That very much sounds like the adjustments that my chiro does. He says to come in when there are issues but there is no need to keep coming to see him

Old 02-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #9
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

You're welcome. If you're having symptoms now....it's time to go again.
    I have a suggestion for when you sleep.....hug a pillow. It'll take some of the pressure from that area. I use one that's smaller than a regular pillow.

q

Old 03-14-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
    KaraI9
    (female)

KaraI9 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kati218 View Post
    Thank you for the message. Not really any longer. When I first woke up that day I was having extreme pain in my right shoulder and upper back.
    See if your doctor will order an EMG to look for neuritis and prescribe Lyrica for the pain/numbness/weakness. I got better on Lyrica so fast I couldn't take the EMG so the final working diagnosis couldn't be confirmed, but it was looking like brachial neuritis. I also woke up with horrible neck and shoulder pain, which is a common symptom.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
    Brodie 396
    (male)

Brodie 396 HB User

The symptoms you describe are similar to mine in-which I have been dealing with for five plus years. I have had a EMG done the result was a Carpel Tunnel surgery which provided zero relief even after one year. I will soon be going in for another EMG this one will concentrate on the elbow region. I am not ruling this possibility out but I do have objective finding of three injuries to my cervical spine. I feel there has not been enough focus on this possibility. Without warning, I drop objects from my hands. Does any of this sound familiar.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 PM   #12
    kati218
    (female)

kati218 HB User

Thank you for the reply. This sounds a lot like what is going on with me. What type of doctor would you recommend I see?

Closed Thread