It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Ulnar Shortening Oestophy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
    haggybeast
    (male)

haggybeast HB User
    Ulnar Shortening Oestophy

I am booked into have a Ulnar Shortening Oestophy on my right wrist. After the surgery will I need someone to do personal care when I go to the bathroom. Or will I need to try and change to my left to do this task.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Ulnar Shortening Oestophy

I was able to figure it out on my own. My surgery was on my dominate wrist. I like buying wet wipes to help some. Using your non-dominate hand just take it slow and easy. If showering is a concern, take a sponge bath until you feel up to it. I would order a cast cover for showering in advance.

For styling my hair, I wear it shorter and visited my hairdresser for a cut prior to surgery. He dried and styled my hair with his left hand only to make sure I could do the same thing. I found a way to make it work.

The most difficult time is in the plaster splint after surgery. Mostly because you are dealing with more pain and the need to keep the wrist elevated. If you live alone, fix some meals in advance that you can pop into the microwave to heat so you don't have to cook.

Best thing you can do is lots and lots of icing. Even through the bandaging.

After the fiberglass case went on, there was little I was unable to do aside from lifting heavy things.

Closed Thread