It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• failing cmc surgery on right thumb

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
    Flygirl
    (female)

Flygirl HB User
    Thumbs down failing cmc surgery on right thumb

I have had surgery on both thumbs and 2 years post surgery on right thumb it seems to be failing. The pain is back and I have very limited movement as The thumb is pulling towards the palm of my hand. Has anyone else had this happen and had another surgery? I'm not sure if going back in harvesting another tendon a good idea!? I would appreciate any input! Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: failing cmc surgery on right thumb

Hi,

I had a failed surgery as well and was told another surgery could not be done. My thumb doesn't pull, as you've described, but I continue to have sharp pain. My other thumb also needs surgery but surgeons are reluctant to do so with one failed surgery.

Tess

Old 05-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
    El133846
    (female)

El133846 HB User

I had surgery on my left hand back in 2010, and had a second surgery on it to fix the issues. Well that didn't work. I don't have any pain in it, so that's a bonus but I can not straighten it out any more and still struggle with grip. Went to a different surgeon for my right hand and what a difference. I am about a year post op and while I know I will never have the same grip, it is so much better. I do over work it and then pay the price with pain but even that is so much better. I would suggest even if you can't have the one thumb fixed, look for a second opinion and look for another surgeon.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #4
    Flygirl
    (female)

Flygirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tess201 View Post
    Hi,

I had a failed surgery as well and was told another surgery could not be done. My thumb doesn't pull, as you've described, but I continue to have sharp pain. My other thumb also needs surgery but surgeons are reluctant to do so with one failed surgery.

Tess
    Hi Tess,
    Thanks for responding, I'm sorry that you can't even get your surgeon to do your other thumb! I just saw my surgeon today and he took comparison x-ray. It was very obvious my right thumb had failed. He is willing to do the surgery again but gave me the "I can't guarantee it will be better" talk. I'm going to give it some thought.... It is a bummer for sure.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:44 AM   #5
    Flygirl
    (female)

Flygirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by El133846 View Post
    I had surgery on my left hand back in 2010, and had a second surgery on it to fix the issues. Well that didn't work. I don't have any pain in it, so that's a bonus but I can not straighten it out any more and still struggle with grip. Went to a different surgeon for my right hand and what a difference. I am about a year post op and while I know I will never have the same grip, it is so much better. I do over work it and then pay the price with pain but even that is so much better. I would suggest even if you can't have the one thumb fixed, look for a second opinion and look for another surgeon.
    Thanks for your input, these issues make you feel so alone at times. My surgeon took X-ray of both thumbs and pretty apparent something needs to be done for right hand. He will do the surgery again if I decide to go that route. I'm giving myself 4 weeks to decide...

Old 05-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
    El133846
    (female)

El133846 HB User

Again, I would get a second opinion, not so much if you need the surgery but you might find another... and I hate to put it this way, but a more capable surgeon. Not that being said my second surgeon, did not say the first did anything wrong, just that he would have done it differently. Keep us updated, praying for a better out come for you...

Closed Thread