It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Fingertip Avulsion and surgicel

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 AM   #1
    Yahyah149
    (female)

Yahyah149 HB User
    Fingertip Avulsion and surgicel

I sliced the tip of my finger (distal end, right before my nail) off yesterday morning. It bled a lot and I work in the medical field, so I went to an urgent care to have it looked at and to make sure it wouldn't get infected at work.
    He gave me this stuff called surgicel to help the bleeding to clot and told me to remove it that evening. The problem is, when I removed it (even after soaking in saline) it was like ripping a scab off and basically made it start bleeding just as bad as before. He gave me an extra piece of surgicel incase it was still bleeding, so I applied that to make it stop and went to bed.
    My biggest concern is that when I take this one off, it will do the same thing. Any tips on a way to remove these without reopening the wound? Or should I be leaving it on for more than 12 hours and let it work itself off?

Last edited by Yahyah149; 06-02-2017 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Surgicel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
    kefu10
    (female)

kefu10 HB User
    Re: Fingertip Avulsion and surgicel

Hello, I'm wondering what you ended up doing with the surgicel? I found myself in the same position and I've just kept the surgicel on my finger because I'm afraid it will rip off and bleed again and when I called my doctor they said it was okay to leave on. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
    Yahyah149
    (female)

Yahyah149 HB User

This only happened 3 days ago, so I'm not sure I can give you any sound advice. So far I have just left the surgicel on my finger. Did your Dr give you a time frame and directions on when Andy how to remove it?

Old 06-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
    kefu10
    (female)

kefu10 HB User

I received conflicting advice from my doctor haha. In the discharge notes they said to keep in on for 24 hours and remove gently. However, one of the people working also said that I could leave it on and it would fall off on its own. When I called back to the office to follow up on which instructions to follow (+ telling them about my concerns of reopening the wound a second time), they said I could leave it on for a few more days.

I've been looking up surgicel since then but not a lot of posts have popped up about it. Most hemostat gauze posts are on QuikClot or gelfoam, but the few surgicel posts I've found for finger avulsions have said that it will either fall off on its own or can be removed with water.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
    Yahyah149
    (female)

Yahyah149 HB User

Yeah, I have researched for HOURS and I can hardly find anything on it other than actual surgical use. I'm hoping it will just be obvious when it is time to come off. I'll do my best to follow up in the end so that someone in the future will know what to do!

Old 06-04-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
    kefu10
    (female)

kefu10 HB User

Are you concerned at all about the surgicel fusing to your finger while it heals? I haven't found much information on this happening but I did see one post about it...

Old 06-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
    Yahyah149
    (female)

Yahyah149 HB User

I haven't seen any info on that happening. I would say that it is pretty fused to my finger right now, but that seems to be a good thing because it's almost like a protective barrier while it's healing. I really am very unsure about what is going to happen, but I can only assume and hope that when it starts to scab and regenerate, that the surgicel will come off. I'm keeping a close eye on it for any signs of infection or pain and hoping for the best, lol. How is it going for you so far?

Old 06-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
    kefu10
    (female)

kefu10 HB User

Yep, I'm definitely in the same situation as you. I'm basically just hoping for the best and that it falls off soon :/

Old 06-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
    kefu10
    (female)

kefu10 HB User

I've got a small update! I got impatient and peeled back a teeny tiny bit of the surgicel from the wound, like a super small amount. The skin underneath the protective-barrier at the fused spot wasn't hard to peel from the surgicel. Overall, it looks like it's healing pretty nicely underneath the surgicel so I put a small amount of bacitracin over the exposed spot and a bandaid and I'm just going to wait for the surgicel to pop off on its own now!

Old 06-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
    Yahyah149
    (female)

Yahyah149 HB User

That sounds great! Tonight I could tell that it's getting close to time to come off, but I wanted to give it a little longer. We will see what the next 24-48 hours brings.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
    Yahyah149
    (female)

Yahyah149 HB User

Update on my finger and the surgicel: so I put the new surgicel on my finger last Thursday night, so 8 days ago, and decided to play the waiting game with it. Tonight it kind of started to flake off a little bit, so I decided to go ahead and try to take it off.
    After soaking it in saline for a good while and wiping away excess when necessary, I will say that it was a success. You can tell where a whole layer of thin skin had grown between the bleeding part of the wound and the surgicel.
    I do wish that I had given it another day or 2, but no harm done it seems. It did a great job of protecting my finger (especially at work) and allowing it to heal at the same time. Just make sure that you aren't forcing it off. If you're ready for it to come off, you need to take all of the time that it needs to soak it.

Closed Thread