It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Stenosis concerns

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
    RobbyK
    (male)

RobbyK HB User
    Stenosis concerns

Hi,

I have had severe neck discomfort for 5+ years. I've dealt with it, as I have been told by 4-5 suergons that my foramonal cervical stenosis is likely not causing my neck discomfort (stiffness, constant cracking, neck tenderness and spasms from my upper neck going down to my traps). I've tried acupuncture and have tried muscle relaxers, steroid injections, trigger point shots, and several other non-invasive treatments. Next on the list may be a small dosage of a Botox injection.

For the past 4-5 days, my right arm is incredibly week and tender. In particular, my right bicep is very achy, with a similar feeling in the muscle of my forearm on my right arm. I have full strength, no radiating pain, but if i was to extend my arms and hold two weights, I feel as if my right arm would not be able to remain extended for a long period of time. I hear popping noises in my wrist and shoulder when i fully extend my arm.

My MRI from 2 months ago remains unchanged from 2 and 3 years ago. Suergons have said my neck discomfort is likely unrelated to the stenosis from my MRI and don't think surgery would help, and each neurosurgeon and ortheropedic suergon has suggested against surgery.

I am truly hoping to new right arm and right bicep tenderness (especially with pressure on the muscles in these two areas) and weakness (although with full strength) is related to a bad night of sleep or something and not the stenosis. I don't know what to do for this and am very concerned.

Please see below for my MRI results. I really appreciate insight and your opinions!

degenerative appearance of the vertebral bodies. The spinal cord has normal signal.

C3-4 there is a central and right lateral recess osteophytic disc ridge there is right
    greater than left lateral recess and proximal foraminal stenosis unchanged.

At C4-5 there is a left lateral recess foraminal osteophytic disc ridge with lateral
    recess and foraminal stenosis this to is unchanged.

At C5-6 there is a central noncompressive stable osteophytic disc ridge.

Review of the remaining levels does not demonstrate evidence of focal abnormality, disc
    herniation or stenosis.

Impression:

Stable multilevel degenerative spondylitic change with asymmetries as above.

ICD 10 -
    Cervical disc degeneration C2-3 and C3-4, M50.31
    Cervical disc degeneration C4-5, C5-6, C6-7, M50.32
    Cervical foraminal stenosis M99.61
    Abnormal straightening cervical curve, M40.40

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: Stenosis concerns

Unfortunately the MRI report is not helpful without the other older report that was used for comparison. It indicates there is foraminal stenosis, but says it is the same as last report...so we can't tell if it is minimal or severe, or somewhere in between.

Do you have a copy of that original MRI report?

Old 08-06-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
    RobbyK
    (male)

RobbyK HB User
    Re: Stenosis concerns

My main concern (I am 29) is the sudden arm tenderness and weakness if holding my arm out straight (still have strength). Came out of nowhere this week and hasn't subsided. It's only my right arm (right antebrachial).

My original MRI results are below:

Findings: There is reversal of the cervical lordosis. Vertebral bodies are normal in
    height without a fracture. Signal arising from bone marrow does not demonstrate a focal
    osseous lesion or infiltrative process.

Limited evaluation of the posterior fossa is unremarkable. Evaluation for cord signal
    abnormality is limited due to motion artifact. There is no cord atrophy or expansion.

Craniocervical junctions are maintained.

At C2-3, There is no disc protrusion. There is no thecal sac compression or foraminal
    compromise. Facet joints are preserved.

At C3-4, right foraminal disc osteophytic ridge and uncovertebral hypertrophy is stable
    since the prior study. There is no facet arthrosis. There is no thecal sac compression.
    There is moderate to severe right foraminal stenosis with mild impingement of exiting
    nerve root.

At C4-5, there is a moderate to large left foraminal disc protrusion along with
    osteophytic ridging and uncovertebral hypertrophy which is stable since the prior study.
    There is no facet arthrosis. There is no thecal sac compression. There is severe left
    foraminal stenosis with compression of the exiting nerve root.

At C5-6, there is a minimal disc bulge. There is mild uncovertebral hypertrophy. There is
    mild facet arthrosis. There is no thecal sac compression. There is mild bilateral
    foraminal stenosis. Findings are unchanged.

At C6-7, there is a minimal disc bulge and right uncovertebral hypertrophy which is stable. There is no facet arthrosis. There is no thecal sac compression. There is mild
    bilateral foraminal stenosis.

At C7-T1, There is no disc protrusion. There is no thecal sac compression or foraminal
    compromise. Facet joints are preserved.

The upper thoracic levels are unremarkable.

Paraspinal musculature is within normal limits. There is no bulky lymphadenopathy.

Impression:

No significant interval change since the prior study.

At C3-C4 there is moderate to severe right foraminal stenosis with impingement of exiting
    nerve root.

At C4-C5 there is severe left foraminal stenosis compressing the exiting nerve root.

Last edited by RobbyK; 08-06-2017 at 08:27 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to RobbyK:
    Lizzym (08-07-2017)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    cervical stenosis, foraminal stenosis