It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Ulnar Nerve surgery recovery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
    txgal817
    (female)

txgal817 HB User
    Lightbulb Ulnar Nerve surgery recovery

Hi. I had ulnar nerve Decompression on my right elbow on June 1st. It relieved some of the major pain but I still notice tingling, loss of strength in pinkie, sharp pains in hand near pinkie, and the right side of my elbow is still numb with pain near the nerve when I drive, wash or do anything to my hair where my arms up in the air and even holding my cell phone. I am about 3 1/2 months post op and go back to the doc 4 months post op. I was wondering if this is normal and will it go away for good?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
    LadyKanner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
    Re: Ulnar Nerve surgery recovery

So sorry to hear youíre still having issues. I am facing that surgery myself. I have been in pain for two years after an injury.

Donít know if this helps but my surgeon did tell me the recovery will take 4-6 months. Donít get too discouraged. It might take more time. Best wishes to you!

Old 09-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #3
    LadyKanner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I also wanted to ask you a few more details of your surgery experience. How would you rate your pain post op? Did the splint it? How large is the incision?

Old 09-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
    txgal817
    (female)

txgal817 HB User

Hi, yes my elbow was splinted and wrapped for about a week. The incision is about an inch and a half on the elbow. The surgery went well, I was knocked out. Woke up with my arm wrapped on bandages. The pain was very minimal for me. I had some pain on a scale it was about 4. I took the pain meds for the first two days and then stopped

Old 10-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
    LadyKanner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Iím scheduled for surgery November 14th. He is going to reposition my ulnar nerve and clean up a tendon Iíve damaged. The pain was so bad for a while that it was unbearable. The past two days itís felt a little bit better. Makes me second guess having the surgery but the pain when I pick things up reminds me it needs to be done. We are hoping to adopt two boys ages 2 and 4 soon and I want to be able to hold them pain free. I have great faith in my surgeon.

Have things improved at all for you since last time we chatted?
    January 2013
    Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
    Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
    Screw Removal

Reply Reply

Tags
    cubital tunnel, elbow, surgery, ulnar nerve