It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Hand hurts under thumb closest to wrist

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
    Daddy19
    (male)

Daddy19 HB User
    Hand hurts under thumb closest to wrist

Hello all. Been a while since I've posted. Hope everyone is well.

About 4 days ago I started feeling some discomfort in my left hand. The location is hard to describe but if you place your left hand with the palm facing you, right below the thumb where its closest to the wrist, that's where it hurts.

As the days have passed the pain started getting worst. Today I've experienced the worst pain yet, to the point where it is very difficult to move my left hand in certain ways, i.e. placing hand on table palm facing down, and trying to move hand side to side. I am unable to move my hand in such a way; also with hand in the same position, trying to lift up forearm making a 90 degree angle between arm and wrist. The pain is excruciating.I can make a fist, I can pinch, and I can move all fingers except the thumb with little discomfort. Moving my thumb towards the wrist makes the pain worst.

I used an ACE bandage to keep it as still as possible. Did some googling and based on location it looks to be related to the Scaphoid bone. If I put pressure on that exact spot, hurts like hell. Could this be a fracture somehow? Or am I looking at a sprain?

I'm confused though as I have not had any trauma to this area of my hand. Only recent physical activity I can think of was mowing the lawn and lifting about 18 sandbags, each weighing about 40lbs each. Can't imagine this would have caused this pain because there wasn't any impact to my hand. If anything I would've expected my back to hurt more than anything else.

I'm going to urgent care after work. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of this and help me with the pain. It is truly unbearable. At least it's my left hand and not my dominant right hand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply