It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

10 months post op and I think something is wrong

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2018, 05:59 AM   #1
voodoochil3
(female)

voodoochil3 HB User
10 months post op and I think something is wrong

Hello all!
I had basal joint surgery in May of 2017. My surgeon performed a mini-tightrope procedure, just as he had done on my right hand. I'm here 10 months post op, and while I know it can take a solid year for full recovery, I feel like something is wrong. If I use the hand for extended periods of use (mostly domestic stuff like cooking and cleaning) it gets very painful. Additionally, my grip is awful and it hurts when I do grip things. I had the procedure done on my right hand about 4 years ago and have no such issues.

Should I wait a couple of months before going back to my ortho? Are there any exercises or anything I can do to maybe strengthen it and make it better?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
stamm678
(female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
Re: 10 months post op and I think something is wrong

I had basal joint surgery done on both my thumbs in 2014. The first went really well, but as you acknowledge, recovery is lengthy. The second went okay but I continued to have stiffness long after I expected to be better. When I went to my surgeon, he took an x-ray which showed that I have arthritis in an adjacent joint. That is what is causing my stiffness and pain. I recommend going back to your doctor to get their opinion. Good luck!

Reply Reply