It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Life after LRTI Thumb Surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-17-2018, 05:37 AM   #1
    rjc68
    (female)

rjc68 HB User
    Life after LRTI Thumb Surgery

Edit post Delete post
    Any LRTI surgery advice? I need this, itís not super bad, itís where itís at and pushing the joint out.... my hands are very very strong, I am a massage therapist. The doc is one of the top hand surgeons in the US.... he said I would not loose my career which is my fear, Iím aware of the rehab that must happen.... I would like to hear from people thatís had this and how there recovery was, and time frame..... and especially those who really use their hands for a living...I know not to push things, recovery takes time. I guess Iím just very nervous, I love my 18 yr massage career and 20+ yrs working with and raising horses!!!! And honestly the ******* videos have scared me, and how some have recovered....Just very concerned....Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: Life after LRTI Thumb Surgery

Hi,

I had LRTI on my left thumb about 5 years ago. It was considered a failure because that hand is now weak and still painful, although less so than before the surgery. This doesn't mean that you would have problems but a certain percentage of patients do with any procedure.

This year I had the mini-tightrope procedure on my right hand. I'm still recovering so the jury is still out but recovery time (in the cast, starting PT, , ability to move the hand, etc) is definitely reduced with the mini-tightrope because it is less invasive. Have you researched the various methods for the CMC joint? You might want to do so and/or get a second opinion from someone who uses a different procedure. Whatever you decide I wish you the best.

Tess

Last edited by tess201; 03-17-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Reply Reply