It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• ulnar shortening

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #16
    el2018
    (female)

el2018 HB User
    Re: ulnar shortening

that's good she scoped the wrist, she knew due to changes to your carpals you would benefit from ulna shortening... my surgeon doesnt think so yet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2018, 02:19 AM   #17
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User

Quick update 5 weeks after surgery:

- still in a removable cast (in Britain's hottest ever summer, NHS refuse to change it)
    - still hurts but better than it was a couple of weeks ago
    - still trying to do range of motion exercises twice a day which are still pretty limited and pretty painful
    - last xrays showed everything was aligned properly, next set in 10 days time to see whether the bone has healed and I can get rid of the cast

Old 07-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #18
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

Hi there, I had my own Ulna osteotomy a couple years ago, best decision I could've ever made. You can see my process here https://www.healthboards.com/boards/arm-wrist-hand/1019098-ulna-shortening-friday-2.html

The tugging around the plate I had when supinating is gone, however I can no longer fully pronate my wrist. It's ....close? but it's pretty clear that it isn't flat. I'm sure it can be worked if I cared to, but it's just not really a motion I need too much. If I were you I would be pronating and supinating as much as possible, my doctor told me to and I didn't do it as much as I should have. If i recall he told me to use a light weight and hold it on one of the ends, and rotate, so the weight of the dumbbell would be pulling/stretching my wrist in the direction to build range of motion(hope that makes sense)

Pain I had prior to surgery is gone, i'm literally never in pain anymore and never was during my surgery whatsoever. I made sure to not move my arm much though.

I feel you on the range of motion being limited though. It. Was. A. STRUGGLE. and i'm a young guy who does pretty well for my weight in the gym not to toot my own horn. I would take citracal when glucosamine when I wouldn't be lazy, I'm sure they aided in my recovery. Also protein. Protein is always good.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #19
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User

9.5 week update from me:

- last x-rays at 6.5 weeks showed the bone starting to heal but still a long way off

- so still in a cast

- less pain and swelling than before then

- fingers and thumb feel a lot better and range of motion in my wrist is slightly better (but still hurts around the fracture)

- scar is looking pretty good

- next appointment in 2 weeks

Old 08-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #20
    Oceanseeker
    (female)

Oceanseeker HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island monkey View Post
    9.5 week update from me:

- last x-rays at 6.5 weeks showed the bone starting to heal but still a long way off

- so still in a cast

- less pain and swelling than before then

- fingers and thumb feel a lot better and range of motion in my wrist is slightly better (but still hurts around the fracture)

- scar is looking pretty good

- next appointment in 2 weeks
    I had this done, first visit after they said it was healing. They sent me to PT, and the girl jerked my thumb and tore everything loose. I had to wait 6 months and have a second surgery. There is no way i would ever have this surgery if i knew what i know now. It never totally heals, and you will have pain from now on. 2 surgeries and pain is worse than it was to began with. After 4 months after the second surgery a popping started in my wrist...a side effect no one thought to mention before either surgery. DO NOT GO TO PHYSICAL THERAPY AFTER THIS TYPE OF SURGERY.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #21
    el2018
    (female)

el2018 HB User

that's interesting, a couple of surgeons had told me the cast would be worn for 6 weeks as for ulnar fracture.. I guess, this surgery requires a longer time in cast

Old 08-30-2018, 01:10 AM   #22
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User

I was told 6-8 weeks originally and it's now looking like 11-12 but I have had some problems with bone density and slow healing before.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #23
    Alfrs
    (male)

Alfrs HB User

How you doing? Are you taking citracal and protein?

Old 10-19-2018, 06:10 AM   #24
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfrs View Post
    How you doing? Are you taking citracal and protein?
    All good thanks (pretty much). I finally got my cast off a couple of weeks ago and am getting back to normal - even guitar playing.

I get some occasional pain around the fracture site and keep bumping the two screws that have come through to the outside of the bone but otherwise OK.

Reply Reply

Tags
    tfcc, ulnar pain relief, wrist pain, wrist surgery