It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• ulnar shortening

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 AM   #1
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User
    ulnar shortening

I'm on the waiting list for ulnar shortening surgery (and TFCC repair) to try and stop me continually tearing my TFCC. I thought I'd post my experience here as I've found it useful when others have.

I'm not sure when it will be yet, but apparently in the next 2 months. In a removable cast at the moment to let the latest very painful tear settle down and then need to build up my muscles before the surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2018, 05:50 AM   #2
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User
    Re: ulnar shortening

As background, I've had chronic pain in my left wrist for 6 years which doctors initially thought was arthritis caused by an old carpal fracture and eventually diagnosed as a TFCC tear a couple of years ago. About 6 months later I was told I had positive ulnar variance which no one had picked up on before (despite many many scans) and that was what was causing the tears and long healing times.

I've torn it another 3 or 4 times since and spent most of the last 2 years in various splints and casts. It's been more painful each time so my orthopaedic consultant now wants to do the ulnar shortening osteotomy which is obviously pretty intimidating. She's going to try and repair my TFCC at the same time.

The only surgery I've had was an arthroscopy 18 months ago to clean up some of the arthritic damage which now looks ok on the latest scans.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #3
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had ulnar shortening a few years ago. It heals like other broken bones. PT was tough for me. My surgeon didn't scope my TFCC at the same time though. I ended up having to go to a second surgeon who then removed my plate and scoped the TFCC. After about 1.5 years of pain, I finally got some relief from my TFCC pain and I regained full ROM.

I hope your surgery goes well.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
    el2018
    (female)

el2018 HB User

Hi, I am about to have ulnar shortening and wrist scope for a central tfc perforation. Will I be able to type and write once I recover? What other useful info should I know?? Thank you so much)) I'm very worried...

Old 05-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
    Woodby84
    (female)

Woodby84 HB User

I had my surgery in April of 2017. I was able to write and type when I got my initial bandages off. The Exos cast I had made it difficult to type and write, but the surgery did not hinder that ability.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
    el2018
    (female)

el2018 HB User

thank you!! I read from some other posts (not on here) - the person had to type with one finger because it caused some pain to type after ulna shortening

Old 05-14-2018, 05:35 AM   #7
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by el2018 View Post
    thank you!! I read from some other posts (not on here) - the person had to type with one finger because it caused some pain to type after ulna shortening
    do you know when your surgery is? I've got to wait until late june.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #8
    el2018
    (female)

el2018 HB User

Hi,
    I am not sure when, I do want to get it over with, but part of me wants to see if somehow I'd get better, although it's been 10 months since the injury with less than moderate improvement.. I can schedule the surgery at any time. I had an appointment today and the surgeon did say it is not going to get worse.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User

A question for people who have already had this.

How long did you need to wear a sling after the surgery? I've been told I'll be in a cast for 6-8 weeks and from reading (a lot) about it, it sounds like that means 1-2 weeks in the post-operative splint/bandages/plaster, then a proper cast.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User

surgery tomorrow - will post an update when it's done

Old 07-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
    el2018
    (female)

el2018 HB User

I really hope you are not in too much pain!I had a wrist arthroscopy on 6/22 and besides the tfcc central tear(MRI with contrast only showed that) the surgeon found the UT split tear and tfcc peripheral tear! he did work on those and I am in a cast now. I'm sure ulna shortening is down the line...

Last edited by el2018; 07-02-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #12
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User

Quote:
    I really hope you are not in too much pain!I had a wrist arthroscopy on 6/22 and besides the tfcc central tear(MRI with contrast only showed that) the surgeon found the UT split tear and tfcc peripheral tear! he did work on those and I am in a cast now. I'm sure ulna shortening is down the line...
    Hi
    It's not been as bad as I thought. Had a few painful days while the swelling was going dow but saw the consultant yesterday and even though it's only been 10 days she put me in a removable cast and has got me doing range of motion exercises. Which is all a bit scary so soon.

She decided not to operate on the TFCC in the end as she is confident she's fixed the problem through the ulnar shortening.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #13
    el2018
    (female)

el2018 HB User

did she do the arthroscopy on your wrist too - just to look?
    you can always do it later, i was offered ulnar shortening only by one of the surgeons but i wanted to make sure they looked at the wrist - sure enough found tears werent on mri .this surgeon wants to see how i do after all the repairs but i know ill have to do ulna shortening in the near future

Old 07-03-2018, 01:24 PM   #14
    el2018
    (female)

el2018 HB User

I'm in cast above elbow - I think we had surgeries on the same day!

Old 07-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #15
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User

Quote:
    I'm in cast above elbow - I think we had surgeries on the same day!
    Kind of wish I was bizarrely. It's really painful trying to do exercises this early on.

She did an arthroscopy about a year an a half ago but was more concerned about arthritic damage than the tfcc at the time. I get the impression that she's not keen on tfcc repairs as would just mean more immobilisation.

Reply Reply

Tags
    tfcc, ulnar pain relief, wrist pain, wrist surgery