It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

Ulnar Osteotomy Shortening

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
Woodby84
(female)

Woodby84 HB User
Ulnar Osteotomy Shortening

Hi! In April 2017 I han an Ulnar Osteotomy Shortening on my right wrist. It took a full 6 months to heal. Since my surgery I have very limited use of my thumb. I have had 2 nerve studies done and the results were very close to normal. I am now experiencing pain in my thumb and wrist. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
el2018
(female)

el2018 HB User
Re: Ulnar Osteotomy Shortening

I have not had this surgery yet, however I studied about the ulna shortening and this particular surgery off loads the ulnar side of the wrist and "overloads" the radial side, depending on how much ulna was taken out (no more than 3 mm recommended to be taken out). What do you mean by limited use of thumb? and where is the wrist pain now??

Old 05-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
Woodby84
(female)

Woodby84 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Ulnar Osteotomy Shortening

Thanks for your response! I had 2.5 mm removed from my ulna bone on my right arm. As far as my thumb, if I place my right hand palm side down, I cannot lift my thumb up, off of the table. I can extend it out and in, but not up. I cannot stretch my thumb out as if I were "hitch hiking". The pain is at the base of my thumb into the wrist and moves up my arm about midway between my wrist and elbow.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
el2018
(female)

el2018 HB User

I had an appointment with the hand surgeon today to discuss the surgery and I asked him about thumb pain and wrist pain after ulnar shortening. He said he didn't know why there would be a thumb pain after ulna shortening, he said there shouldn't be pain and also said there maybe some other underlying condition of the radial joint. Do you still have the plate in? you may want to consider removing the plate.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:52 AM   #5
Woodby84
(female)

Woodby84 HB User

I am in the process of getting a second opinion from another surgeon. I do still have the plate in. I will be sure to post what I find out. Thank you!

Reply Reply