It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Ulnar shortening plate removal fiasco

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 05-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
    csp1
    (female)

csp1 HB User
    Ulnar shortening plate removal fiasco

I had an ulnar shortening surgery in December 2017. After about four months, it seemed like the plate was kind of bothering me. So I asked my doctor if he could remove it. He asked me how long it had been since my surgery and I told him four months. I also told him I would be off on vacation in May, and asked if I could have it removed at that time. That would make it five months from the time of surgery. He said okay, looked at the x-rays and said it looked okay to remove. So on May 16, I had my plate and screws removed. Four days later, I had pain in my forearm and the next morning when I tried to get up out of bed, my arm was killing me. I went to an emergency clinic. X-ray showed that my bone was broke. The bone had also been slightly moved because of the break. I went to my surgeon the next day and he told me I had to wear cast until healed. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Does anyone know if five months postop is too soon to remove the plate and screws? At this point, I want the plate and screws back in so it can heal properly again and not be off-center like it is right now. Please… Any suggestions, comments, questions are welcome. I've now lost my job because I can't work with a broken arm and I have no idea whether this will heal properly or not. My doctor originally told me that a plate was needed for this to heal because it was such a straight line cut. And now I'm in a cast out of work with absolutely no income coming in. HELP! Thank you. Also, does anyone know if a plate can be put back in once it's removed? Thank you

Last edited by csp1; 05-28-2018 at 10:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User
    Unhappy Re: Ulnar shortening plate removal fiasco

Dear csp1,

As long as there is no infection I see no reason a plate cannot be reinstalled. But I would NOT let that same surgeon touch me.

I have experience with several breaks. In my experience and opinion the doctor that agreed to removal of the plate so early is an idiot. It may not have even been the plate bothering you, but normal discomfort during the healing process. It also may have been that you were experiencing movement of the bone that should have been stable. I have had bone movement under a plate. It's awful.

Get a second opinion from an expert surgeon, ASAP. Insurance has to pay for opinion outside your medical group (if you are in the US). Regardless I would get clear of that surgeon at any cost. Do research for surgeons that treat doctor blunders and/or deal with complex problems.

IMO straight cut should not have been done to begin with, it is so unstable. And definitely the bone would not be stable in a few months. I have had rods and plates and have plates in my ankle right now. I wanted the plates removed and my surgeon said he wouldn't do it. Another surgeon may say yes he will. But that doesn't make it right. I also have a permanent plate on one of my tibias, and due to an accident I had a broken femur and that plate was able to be removed but many years later. The plate in my wrist did get removed after a year of healing, but that was regarding a crack, not a straight cut in the bone.

I'm sorry this happened to you. In my opinion that surgeon was irresponsible.
    Please use Yelp and seek a highly rated surgeon that does botched surgery repair before you are permanently crippled. Let us know how you are doing.

Last edited by yayagirl; 05-28-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:58 AM   #3
    island monkey
    (male)

island monkey HB User
    Re: Ulnar shortening plate removal fiasco

that sounds like a nightmare. everything I've read says wait for at least a year before removing the plate - now I know why.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
    Oceanseeker
    (female)

Oceanseeker HB User
    Re: Ulnar shortening plate removal fiasco

Quote:
    Originally Posted by csp1 View Post
    I had an ulnar shortening surgery in December 2017. After about four months, it seemed like the plate was kind of bothering me. So I asked my doctor if he could remove it. He asked me how long it had been since my surgery and I told him four months. I also told him I would be off on vacation in May, and asked if I could have it removed at that time. That would make it five months from the time of surgery. He said okay, looked at the x-rays and said it looked okay to remove. So on May 16, I had my plate and screws removed. Four days later, I had pain in my forearm and the next morning when I tried to get up out of bed, my arm was killing me. I went to an emergency clinic. X-ray showed that my bone was broke. The bone had also been slightly moved because of the break. I went to my surgeon the next day and he told me I had to wear cast until healed. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Does anyone know if five months postop is too soon to remove the plate and screws? At this point, I want the plate and screws back in so it can heal properly again and not be off-center like it is right now. Please… Any suggestions, comments, questions are welcome. I've now lost my job because I can't work with a broken arm and I have no idea whether this will heal properly or not. My doctor originally told me that a plate was needed for this to heal because it was such a straight line cut. And now I'm in a cast out of work with absolutely no income coming in. HELP! Thank you. Also, does anyone know if a plate can be put back in once it's removed? Thank you
    Ive had that surgery twice now. In case no one told you, you had 8 holes drilled in the bone, it never heals. You will always have chance it can break. My wrist is twice as bad as before the 2 surgeries. I would tell anyone do not have this surgery. It never heals after plate is removed. If you have a second surgery asbi did the reason a physical therapist pulled my thumb and tore the healing bone loose hence a second surgery 6 months cv later. With a second surgery they remove the first plate. 8 empty holes in bone they put a new plate in they drill 8 more holes. Im a small boned person to begin with, a second opinion said, 16 holes drilled in my arm can break with any amount of force at any time. I am 57 and this is life long it never heals. Never have this surgery.

Reply Reply