It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Wrist injury, what is wrong?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
    sara2020
    (female)

sara2020 HB User
    Wrist injury, what is wrong?

I hurt my wrist getting up from a office chair, I have been pushing off the armrests quite heavily with my hands when getting up from the chair and using them to sit down for the last week since I am recovering from a foot injury which has been healing well. 2 days ago I was getting up from the office chair and pushing off the armrests and I felt pain in my wrist in the middle of the palm side of the wrist, I iced it and it stopped hurting later that day, the next day I was opening a new bottle of ketchup and the cap was on really tight and I had to really strain to open it and when I was opening it the pain in my wrist came back and has been there since. There is no swelling or bruising and no tingling or numbness.

What did I likely injure?

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2019, 07:10 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Wrist injury, what is wrong?

I would guess inflammation of the tendons, known as tendonitis. This could simply be from overuse. It will heal if you make a conscious effort not to use it for some period of time. You will just have to figure out new ways of doing what you usually do. It's never easy of course.

It might help to wrap your wrist with something as a reminder not to use it. Maybe there's a product made for that purpose.

I'm assuming you don't have Osteoporosis. If you do, that may be a different story involving a bone fracture or something like that.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Wrist injury, what is wrong?

Using your wrists in a way they aren't used to can cause inflammation. Taking the cap off probably caused spasming in that area. Owie....i know THAT pain!

Initially, if you can take Aleve or Motrin that will help with inflammation. Get a wrist support that offers light but continual pressure around the area, and change the way you lift yourself off the chair. Since your wrist is injured, the areas around will take up the slack and cause more issues.

If you see a chiropractor, it could be worth the visit.

Let us know how you're doing. Heal well from your foot injury.

Oh...using those antislip squares to undo jar caps, etc are mighty helpful.

q

Reply Reply