It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Pinky pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User
    Pinky pain

I've had a sharp pain in my left pinky that has been bugging me for about a month. I've been hoping that if I irritate it as little as possible, it would go away, but it's been long enough to make me want to ask about it.

It gives me a sharp pain sometimes when I bump it or brush it against something, even when I just put my hand in my pocket. The location of the pain is the joint just below the fingernail and on the outer side (the side not facing the ring finger.) There is no redness or swelling or anything else that can be seen on the surface, but I just noticed today that there's a "tight" feeling in the joint when I bend the finger all the way to the "closed" position.

Also, it hurts when I use it with the rest of my fingers in lifting anything. As a result, I try to extend it so that it's not used. Not always easy. It also hurts when I use it while typing. I often avoid using it when typing the "A" key.

Any ideas as to what this is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2019, 03:53 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Pinky pain

Hi there. It could be a nerve which is damaged...or it could be bone. The only way you are going to be able to tell for sure is to see a hand doctor (an orthopedic who specializes in hands) and get some testing done.

I have pain like this from neuropathy- which is nerve related- and is from my disease (MS); sometimes it feels like I have a broken finger!

There are tests from EMGs to Xrays and MRIs which can rule out what it is and let you know if there is any hope in getting it "back to normal". For me, its simply a symptom of my disease... Hopefully for you its something fixable!

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User
    Re: Pinky pain

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Hi there. It could be a nerve which is damaged...or it could be bone. The only way you are going to be able to tell for sure is to see a hand doctor (an orthopedic who specializes in hands) and get some testing done.

I have pain like this from neuropathy- which is nerve related- and is from my disease (MS); sometimes it feels like I have a broken finger!

There are tests from EMGs to Xrays and MRIs which can rule out what it is and let you know if there is any hope in getting it "back to normal". For me, its simply a symptom of my disease... Hopefully for you its something fixable!

Good luck.
    Thank you! Yeah, I figured something like an X-ray might need to be done. I was considering getting an annual exam soon and just mention this to the doctor at that time. It seems almost too trivial to make a special appointment for (pain in a pinky joint), but am also concerned it might be the start of something more serious since it's lasting so long.

Reply Reply