It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• I got a vague diagnosis about wrist pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #1
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Hannah1492 HB UserHannah1492 HB User
    I got a vague diagnosis about wrist pain

Yesterday I tripped over a curb fell sideways with my hand hitting the concrete sideways like a karate chop. That little bone that sticks out on the pinky side was bleeding so I know where I hit, the bone is swelling and hurts. I couldn't lift anything, use my hand to take off my shoes or pull up the covers on the bed.

Today I broke down and went to the Urgent Care asking for some kind of brace so I can work tomorrow. I cashier at a grocery and lift all day. They said nothing about diagnosis, took an x-ray, then the x-ray tech gave me a hard core splint with metal in it and a shoulder splint to elevate my hand said and said to wear it until I got my cast. Cast? Then the nurse, there was no dr there, gave me my x-rays and said if the pain increases go to a radiology dept and that I must follow up with my doc.

After I got home it dawns on me that their hinting that I have a fracture. Does this mean I'm not working tomorrow? I have Tues off and would like to wait until then to go to the dr. Could I make the injury worse trying to work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: I got a vague diagnosis about wrist pain

Hi Hannah1492,

Sorry to hear about your injury. I can relate to it because I once injured my thumb and couldn't use my hand for much of anything for a long time. When I first injured it I wondered if I had broken a bone so I called my doctors office and talked to the nurse. She asked me if the pain was constant and I said, "no". Then she said if I had a broken bone, the pain would be constant. I only had pain if I tried to grip something with that hand. So she told me not to use it and it would gradually heal. I took her advice and I never needed to make an appointment to see the doctor.

My mother fell once and hurt her wrist. She went to the doctor and he said it was a fracture, but he didn't give her a brace or tell her to take any medication. It seems it healed after a short period of time, so it couldn't have been that bad.

Everyone is different and every injury is different. You just have to make a decision based on how you feel. You could try going in to work and see how it goes. If it turns out to be the wrong thing to do, the pain will tell you that you need to stop.

Here's another idea: You could try calling the Urgent Care or your doctor's office and ask them if they think it's okay to try going in to work.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:22 PM   #3
    Hannah1492
    (female)

Thanks, John, I guess their practicing medicine on us.

I waited 4 hours to do a walk-in appt with my dr, after 2 hours a radiology dept called and told me my wrist isn't fractured. My dr never gave a diagnosis, took me out of work for a week and will check back in next week. I've diagnosed myself as having a smushed wrist.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:21 PM   #4
    Hannah1492
    (female)

A new development.

My wrist has been fairly pain free this afternoon. On the side of the wrist injury my pinkie finger keeps spasming.

Is this a good sign?

Old 05-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

By "spasming" do you mean twitching? I had that happen with my thumb and it is very annoying but it did go away. Once in a while it would come back for a short period of time but now it hasn't happened for a long time.

It might have something to do with nerve impulses. I don't know of anything that can be done about it. Mine would last about an hour or so and then go away. It would usually happen when sitting and reading. Maybe if you get up, get a drink of water and walk around, it might go away.

Reply Reply