It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• How to help prolonged wrist and hand pain?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #1
    jazzball
    (female)

jazzball HB User
    Unhappy How to help prolonged wrist and hand pain?

8 months ago after a pole dance class as I went home I started feeling some pain and tickling in my right arm and hand and it hasn't fully recovered since. I am 26, right-handed, female.

I had been going to these classes for about 6 months at the time but only 4 or less times per month so I wasn't really prepared for some of the tricks we were doing on the pole. My wrists used to hurt a little during most of the classes but that would pass shortly after shaking them a bit. For the first 2 months after the incident it was the whole right arm that was feeling weird and the pain was moving around. For the past 6 months it has remained in the wrist and the palm.

I would call this sensation more of a tension, burning, tingling and “pressure” rather than actual pain. There has also been consistent warmth within my palm for this whole time. It gets worse after I do some heavy lifting (which I cannot avoid completely) or sports that involve hand work (which I haven't been doing much at all because of this) and gets better when I let it rest completely for at least two weeks. At these times the pain isn't there all the time but it definitely is when I'm drawing, writing and typing or doing other similar “small” finger/wrist tasks. All of these are part of my work life and cannot be stopped completely at any time.

Before all this my right hand used to hurt only after a long day's work (my right shoulder blade would also be hurting and it still does sometimes) but the pain would pass as soon as I'd stop working and would be gone completely the next day and not reappear unless I had such a long day of work again.

I've gotten into a habit of doing most daily tasks with my left hand and the left one doesn’t hurt at all. I even do the lifting with my left now as much as I can. I also sleep on my left side now as the whole right arm starts hurting if I lay on it.

During these 8 months I had treatments of:
    - Ultrasound therapy (8-15 min sessions for 10 days)
    - Magnetic field therapy (10-20 min sessions for 5 days)
    - Upper back massage (30 min sessions for 5 days)
    - Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (a course of 10 days)
    - Occupational therapy exercises for the hands (30 min sessions daily for at least a few weeks; I still repeat them sometimes and they do make the hands stronger but sometimes more pain emerges because of them)

None of the above provided any apparent relief except for the shoulder area massage which seemed to help with the pain when it was at its peak. I also take vitamin B and apply anti-inflammatory gel on the area regularly and had my neck/upper back area taped twice.

The bits of information I've gathered from the doctors isn't much:
    - I need to make my back and abs stronger to take off pressure of the arms more.
    - The condition is not bad enough for surgery.
    - This is tendonitis combined with pressured elbow nerve.

The sensations I'm getting while doing the “small” tasks are my biggest problem as it seems I cannot use my right hand properly anymore both at work and home. Has anyone else had similar problems? What treatment should I aim for next?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    carpal tunnel, elbow ulnar pain, hand, nerve, wrist