It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Increasing finger pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User
    Increasing finger pain

Not long ago, I started having pain in a joint of one of my fingers on my left hand. Not long after that, I started having pain in 2 more fingers on the same hand. Now the upper joint of the middle finger on my right hand is causing me problems. It hurts when I lift something heavy, and now I'm even noticing pain in it when I type.

I'm a 49 year old man.

Is this arthritis? Or could it be something else? Something treatable? I'm concerned about it because it's happening on one finger after another and now in both hands, and at this rate I won't be able to do much of anything if it keeps up at this rate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Increasing finger pain

Have you tried any anti inflammatories? That would be a place to start. Also, massage and heat can help. Try those till you can get to a doctor for testing for RA.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #3
    StayFit42
    (male)

StayFit42 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Have you tried any anti inflammatories? That would be a place to start. Also, massage and heat can help. Try those till you can get to a doctor for testing for RA.
    I hadn't thought about inflammation until you mentioned it. I've now been looking up information about it and ways of preventing it. I've seen that diet has a big role in causing it. I guess I'll try anti inflammatories such as Ibuprofen too.
    Thank you for the suggestions!

Old 07-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
    sk8chica
    (female)

sk8chica HB User

Is there redness or swelling in the location of the pain? Do you remember injuring it? Do you have any other discomfort like headache, fatigue, or fever? Any rashes or unusual skin symptoms? What do you do during the day (typing, driving, lifting things, yardwork, etc).

As you may know, although inflammation may be the immediate cause of the pain, taking anti-inflammatory drugs will not address the root of the problem. If it were me, I would see a doc and get a blood test to rule out bacterial infections. The fact that it's spreading from one location to another seems suspicious to me...

Anyway, that's just my thinking, hope that helps. Better yet, I hope your hands feel better!

Old 07-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
    sk8chica
    (female)

sk8chica HB User

I meant to add, for example, that RA could be a sign of Lyme disease. I know, that's very specific, but it's just one example of something you want to rule out earlier rather than later (as complications of untreated bacterial infection can be very unpleasant ...)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StayFit42 View Post
    Is this arthritis? Or could it be something else? Something treatable? I'm concerned about it because it's happening on one finger after another and now in both hands, and at this rate I won't be able to do much of anything if it keeps up at this rate.

Reply Reply