It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Metal plates in my Arm/Drainage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
    PMN2012
    (male)

PMN2012 HB User
    Metal plates in my Arm/Drainage

Hello and thanks for reading my post.

I was in a car accident in Fall 2008. I broke my left arm, hip and both legs. I had numerous surgeries and metal placed in several different parts of my body, including my forearm and elbow.

Well a couple of months ago, I had a spot near my elbow open up and start draining. Shortly afterwards, a big bump came up below my elbow as well. I went to my PCP doctor and he put me on Bactrim. During the next few weeks, I paid several visits back to this doctor to check up on it. Another spot had come up above my elbow and was draining. I took the medicine for a month or two and the initial drainage spot went away. The big bump also went away and the spot on the top started to close up. It was draining some, but not as much. I went to my PCP doctor and he took me off the medicine and didn't give me a return appointment, saying that I shouldn't see anything else out of it.

Well the spot above my elbow started draining again opened up a bit. The first spot and the bump are still healed though. Over the past week or so, I can see a black-like spot and I am worried that it is exposed hardware from inside my arm. What should I do about this? Will I have to deal with surgery again? Should I go back to my PCP doctor or should I go back to the orthopedic surgeons that did my surgeries after the accident? Thanks for any tips!

Last edited by PMN2012; 02-25-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Metal plates in my Arm/Drainage

Has your PCP done an x-ray?

If might be worth seeing an orthopedic doc to have things checked out.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
    PMN2012
    (male)

PMN2012 HB User
    Re: Metal plates in my Arm/Drainage

No he didn't.

Closed Thread

Tags
    arm, drainage, elbow, metal