It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• back to hospital

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
    booboo31
    (female)

booboo31 HB Userbooboo31 HB Userbooboo31 HB User
    back to hospital

been back to hospital today cos I'm still having wrist problems, I've tested negative for carpel tunnel, I had an x-ray taken and the op I had last year has healed nicely. I told him that I had the plate taken out in december cos I kept getting pins and needles in my fingers and pain in my wrist, and that after I had it removed it stopped but earlier this year it came back and has been on and off all the time.

So he wants me to have an MRI scan with a dye injected into my wrist to see if anything shows up. He said he didnt want to give me false hope but mentioned arthritis and tendonitis and if nothing comes back they might put a camera in or refer me to the pain management team.

I'm goin mad cos we do our spag bol and korma in a wok cos its bigger and I can't even lift it cos my wrist hurts and I'm pain for hours.

If anyone can give me info I'll be very grateful.

The following user gives a hug of support to booboo31:
    MountainReader (11-13-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: back to hospital

I've had the contrast MRI's. The contrast wasn't too bad. For my wrist, they called it an arthrogram. They used a video x-ray to see the contrast as it was administered into my wrist before sending me for the The worst about the MRI is that you are lying there for a long time with your arm up over your head and you can't move. My bad wrist was the same one as the shoulder I'd had surgery on a few years before. My shoulder wasn't happy about being stuck in that position and started spasming. It made it harder not to move my wrist. When I'm in the MRI machine, I usually find a 'zone' in myself so I don't think about being in the tight place. One time, I zoned too much and kept falling asleep. They don't like that because you move too much. I've been through a lot of MRI's though and this one was easier than some of my others.

I had the camera put in when they took my plate out. It was arthroscopic surgery. They were looking for a specific ligament tear, but ended up finding tons inflammation that had never subsided and they did debridement to take care of that. I had four small incisions on the back of my hand. That was a year ago now (just before your last surgery) and I have to look carefully to see the scars. I left with steri-strips on the incisions and a wrap around my arm. I can't speak to the specific healing of the arthroscopic stuff since I had the plate and cyst removed at the same time. It was significantly easier than the osteotomy. My pain significantly improved and my ROM returned to normal after that.

As for the tendonitis and arthritis, I actually have a follow-up this Friday with a new wrist doc. I really liked my last one, but I had to take a half day off work to go see him because he was pretty far away. I've been having lots of tendonitis issues in my 'good' left wrist. I think it probably aggravated with all the time I was in splints and casts on the right wrist. I now have de quervains tendonitis and a ganglion cyst on the left side. He wouldn't check my right wrist/hand on my last visit because he wanted the notes from my 2 right wrist surgeons first. I've been having a lot of stiffness in the morning and some joint pain for the last few months. I suspect I've developed arthritis in that hand now.

I just learned a couple new things from your post. I didn't know spag bol or korma. I had to look them up. I do know spaghetti bolognaise, just not the shortened version. Korma I'd never heard of. It sounds good though. I completely understand the frustration with cooking. I gained weight when I had the casts on because of my frustration with trying to cook when I couldn't lift the pans easily. The weight gain came because I ended up picking up take-out food way too often. It was hard on the wallet too, but I justified it to myself at the time.

Not sure if this helped. I wish you well though.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Booboo,

Have you been scheduled for your testing yet?

It seems that we are both continuing with our wrist sagas. I found out today I need surgery on my left wrist now. Ironically, they scheduled me for November 25th. This is exactly 1 year to the day of my surgery for plate removal and arthroscopic debridement last year. I certainly didn't plan it that way. I remember when I had the last surgery because it was a couple days before our Thanksgiving celebration. I'm going to be doing the same this year. This surgery will be for a tendon sheath release for DeQuervain's and removal of a Ganglion cyst.

I also spoke to the surgeon about the stiffness I've been experiencing in my right wrist. The 2 fingers on my ulnar side have been stiff when I wake up and a couple of my other fingers lock up occasionally. I had all of the records from my last year's surgeons sent to this one. After reviewing them, and checking my hand he just told me to monitor it and let him know when it is worse. Honestly, I won't have asked him about it in the first place if I wasn't concerned about the fact I've been having these problems since last spring. I was a bit frustrated with his response on this.

Keep in touch.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
    booboo31
    (female)

No not heard anything yet. I have got a date to see a dr about my right knee but not for that.

Sorry you've got to have the surgery all over again. Lets hope that after the op you get all the help to make it move and stuff.

According to my hubby I have got a letter at home but don't know wat it is. I cud be waiting 2 months for the MRI then have to wait for the follow up appointment. The more i read about on the Internet it sounds tendonitis. My elbow sometimes hurts aswell and that's one of the symptoms.

Hope all goes well. Keep in touch x

Old 11-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I was disgnosed with 'golfer's elbow' about a year before my first surgery. It started as wrist pain first. I wore a splint/brace. It was a strap that was on the forearm, just below the elbow. It really did help. That and a wrist splint allowed me to keep bowling on my league for a while longer. Something I haven't done in 2 years now.

It might be worth looking into. They are inexpensive and available on the internet and most drug and medical supply stores.

Hope all goes well with your knee.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
    booboo31
    (female)

Thanks. I had an MRI scan on my right knee and I've got subchrondral oedema and joint effusion. Got to see someone on the 9th December at 3.30. Every now and then I get like stabbing pains init and it gives away. Now I'm workin and on my feet all day it's not gettin any better so it needs sorting.

Closed Thread