It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Ulnar shortening surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
    Daffydee
    (female)

Daffydee HB User
    Ulnar shortening surgery

Day 3 nothing more than discomfort... Is it okay to use the hand and allow rotation of the arm? Going nuts with the itching under the dressing, any suggestions to relieve it? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Ulnar shortening surgery

I kept my hand elevated and iced as much as possible the first few days. After that, I didn't 'use' the hand a lot, but I did use the fingers for minor things. Moving with the elbow wasn't a problem for me. I had to learn to do a lot with my non-dominate hand.

Do you have a short or long arm cast? There have been people on these boards who have had both after their ulnar osteotomies.

I used a Cast Cooler to help with the itching. I waited until I went from the plaster casting to the fiberglass casting though because I was worried to use it too much with the stitches. It is a really nifty device.

Are you icing through the splint you have now? It does help. I found that using ice crushed in my Ninja put into a plastic bag allowed it to really mold around my bandages. It takes a while for the cold to get through the bandaging, but it did help a bit with my itching.

I found a CastShield which was easy to use one-handed so I could shower. After 8 weeks, I never had a drop of water get through.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
    Daffydee
    (female)

Daffydee HB User
    Re: Ulnar shortening surgery

Thank you I will definitely be looking into the cast cooler and cast shield! I have been icing, It doesn't seem to get through the bandages though. I am not casted or splinted just an ace wrap over layers of thick cotton, and my follow up isn't for another 8 days.... I assume they will cast then? I seem to have a lot of ROM just a bit weak, and pain is minimal (I have only taken 400 mg of ibuprofen today and that was more than 8 hrs ago) It's just the itching that's getting to me! Thanks again for your help!!

Closed Thread