It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Complications from ganglion cyst removal surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #1
    Nellyzen
    (female)

Nellyzen HB User
    Complications from ganglion cyst removal surgery

Hello everyone!

I had this surgery 2 months ago and I am still in agonizing pain and can't use my hand for anything other than taking a shower etc. I started PT which makes the pain worse. I have burning pain up to my elbow at all times as well as tendon and muscle problems. Same situation on the left hand but did not have surgery yet.

My surgeon is saying it is normal to have "aches and pains" but this is beyond that. I'm worried something went wrong.

Any thoughts?

The following user gives a hug of support to Nellyzen:
    MountainReader (11-28-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
    Re: Complications from ganglion cyst removal surgery

Hi I did some reading up on them and it does seem yours is more painful and the going up the arm doesn't sound right either. Maybe seek another opinion or ask for a mri or something. Also you could try some nerve pain meds that may help. Cathy

Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi, welcome to HealthBoards.

What part of your hand did they remove the cyst from?

One of the cautions I was aware of for my surgery was the fact that the nerve is in the area of where my cyst was removed. They had to be aware to avoid disrupting it during the surgery. You might research it this. I believe there are 3 main nerves that may contribute to the pain up the arm.

Did you have a splint or cast after your surgery or just a wrap? If you were splinted/casted for a while, you probably needed more rehab.

Either way, your recovery sounds unusual. I had a large cyst removed and the first dorsal tendon sheath cut and my hand surgeon said about a 4 week recovery.

Is your PT a Certified Hand Therapist? If now, you might seek one out. My last hand surgeon was very adamant about that. They are the best trained for wrist/hand rehab.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
    Nellyzen
    (female)

Nellyzen HB User

Thank you both for your replies.

I came back to update you on my situation, just in case someone else reads this and is looking for answers.

I have been diagnosed with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, bilateral. Basically it was not the cyst that was causing me all that pain and that is why I did not get any results with the surgery.

Thank God I went for a second opinion, my surgeon did not have a clue, looked at my wrist for 5 mins and decided I need a surgery. Yes, there was a cyst there but it was very small and unable to cause me such pain.

If you are in this situation, get a second opinion because it may be something a lot more serious that someone is overlooking.

Closed Thread