It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Basal Joint Surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
    Suzanna326
    (female)

Suzanna326 HB User
    Basal Joint Surgery

I am scheduled for Left thumb basal joint surgery on February 18th. I do not have any cartilage in thumb joint, and the pain is constant. My hand surgery said that I will not gain normal strength back, but that it will prevent further deterioration and eliminate the pain as well as the very disfiguring knob on the top of my hand.
    I am used to working out 2.5 hours a day including weight machines. How long until I can return to weight lifting and yoga? I am hopeful that I will be able to maintain my elliptical, treadmill and cycle workouts.
    I will have out-patient surgery and then be in a cast for five weeks.

The following user gives a hug of support to Suzanna326:
    pcb123 (01-22-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
    dgarafa1
    (female)

dgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB Userdgarafa1 HB User
    Re: Basal Joint Surgery

I got back all my strength plus! I am a pianist. I had some heavy playing it do this week. The thumb at the wrist is a bit sore, but most of the times I don't feel a thing. I had surgery April 30, 2013. I'd say a good 7 to 10 or so months to get back to normal.

The following user gives a hug of support to dgarafa1:
    Suzanna326 (01-22-2014)
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dgarafa1 For This Useful Post:
    pcb123 (01-22-2014),Suzanna326 (01-22-2014)
    Old 02-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
    Suzanna326
    (female)

Suzanna326 HB User

I had my basal joint arthoplasty today along with trigger release on left thumb. Sent home worth pain port in left shoulder to be kept in for two or three days. No pain yet, because completely numb. Feels like a phantom arm. Will move on its own. Heavy and a lot of pressure. Feeling anxious, because of the strange sensation. Sent home with sling to be kept on while have port

Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
    dgarafa1
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suzanna326 View Post
    I am scheduled for Left thumb basal joint surgery on February 18th. I do not have any cartilage in thumb joint, and the pain is constant. My hand surgery said that I will not gain normal strength back, but that it will prevent further deterioration and eliminate the pain as well as the very disfiguring knob on the top of my hand.
    I am used to working out 2.5 hours a day including weight machines. How long until I can return to weight lifting and yoga? I am hopeful that I will be able to maintain my elliptical, treadmill and cycle workouts.
    I just wanted to say that I got back more strength than I had---actually my thumb, how it works and it's strength are like it was when I was 20 years old!m plain normal! As far as weight machines, the key to getting everything back is doing the PT, which involves very few different exercises, and not doing things to early. Your hand will let you know! From my experience, that kind of exercise, don't plan to do it at least the first 6-9 months! Yes, that long! Don't do it. You want to have normal strength back and for all to be successful. Mi was able to play piano little by little starting small at 8 weeks, but just small things and not full till 5-7 months. If it hurts, stop, it's not like gym exercise. Hope this helps

Last edited by dgarafa1; 02-19-2014 at 06:39 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to dgarafa1 For This Useful Post:
    Suzanna326 (02-20-2014)
    Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #5
    Suzanna326
    (female)

Suzanna326 HB User

Thank you for your suggestions even my Surgeon worries, because she know how active I am, and obsessive with the exercise. Cardio will be ok, just will not be able to go back to weights or yoga for awhile. I am used to my weight workout 5-7 days a week. Can get back on treadmill, elliptical and bike after port comes out tomorrow. Week from today, I go back to surgeon to have this cast removed, and new one put on.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
    Suzanna326
    (female)

Suzanna326 HB User

Well, the numbness from surgery is gone. I woke up in the middle of the night in terrible pain keeping arm elevated, and still have nerve block catheter in. Nothing seems to be helping the pain. I have so much more pain and lack of function compared to my total hip replacement in May.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
    dgarafa1
    (female)

Quote:
    Well, the numbness from surgery is gone. I woke up in the middle of the night in terrible pain keeping arm elevated, and still have nerve block catheter in. Nothing seems to be helping the pain. I have so much more pain and lack of function compared to my total hip replacement in May.
    It's early yet, please be assured it will get better. For me one day it was like I went over the hill and it was downhill from there!

Old 03-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
    sapers
    (female)

sapers HB User

I am facing the surgery and also work out all the time. How soon were you able to go back? -- thanks

Quote:

Closed Thread