It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Help post surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
    Catsx3
    (female)

Catsx3 HB User
    Question Help post surgery

I am scheduled for basal joint arthroplasty on my right wrist (I am right handed). I live alone. Would like to hear from others who have had this surgery and how they coped. I don't want to be a burden to family and friends but I know I will need help. Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Catsx3:
    MountainReader (01-24-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Help post surgery

I can't reply to your particular surgery, but I had 2 surgeries on my dominant wrist in 2012 and was in casts and splints for much of the year. I too have to care for myself.

One of the best things I found was a product called a CastShield Waterproof Protector. I was easily able to shower and keep my casts totally dry with this product. It was super easy to put on and off one-handed. I felt so much better being able to shower and be clean.

If you can pre-cook some meals and put them in the freezer to just warm up, that is very helpful. Things like cutting and using a can opener were hard one handed. I was bad and actually gained some weight after surgery because it was easier to pick up take-out at the time. If I had it to do over, I would have a cooking day just to stock up in advance.

I had a visit with my hair stylist and he gave me a cut that I could easily manage one-handed. In fact, he even styled and dried it with only his left hand to make sure I could do it myself. One thing he recommended that I did was put the styling cream onto the counter, rubbed it into my left palm, rubbed it into my hair, then wiped off the counter.

I found some front-hook bras. Those worked very well one handed. I just used my right arm to press in a bit on one side and the left to fasten.

I have a small kitchen ninja. It was very easy to grind down ice to snow and make a wonderful ice pack one handed. It molded nicely over the cast to help with the swelling and pain.

I stocked up on baby wipes. It helped some with personal hygiene. Very handy and easy one-handed.

Make sure you have some shirts that are easy to get on over the cast. A coat that will work too if you are in cooler weather. Having a cast in the dead of winter wasn't fun. I ended up cold a lot in short sleeves. I now have a heavy poncho style coat that works. My nicer coats didn't fit right.

Change your fitted sheets right before the surgery. That was one of the very hardest things for me to do one-handed. I washed them a bit less frequently during my healing because it was such a pain. It might be something you want help with early on. That or be prepared for the awkwardness.

Just take things a bit slower. Most things you will eventually figure out yourself. Just a bit differently for a while.

The following user gives a hug of support to MountainReader:
    pierrebrowne (01-26-2014)
    Closed Thread