It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Wrist pain and work

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
    BadxWolff
    (female)

BadxWolff HB User
    Post Wrist pain and work

I've been having wrist pain/uncomfort for years. But it's gotten worse now and I can't focus on my job or my main hobby (art). It hurts way too much.
    So I went to see a doctor and they said I have tendinitis and gave me a splint.
    I went to work later that day and I just couldn't work with the splint so I had to keep taking it off and on and ect and my job is very hands on. (I work in manufacturing) It still was painful.
    I went to the doctor the next day asking for some time off work to see if I can rest my wrist and anything else. He gave me a shot and gave me a week off work.I went on Short Term Disability since I have no PTO days and such. Well the following week I was still having pain, and actually feeling worse now. The doctor said he'll only give me until the 23rd off and to go to a Orthopedic doctor. I made an appointment right away.
    So the 23rd I went to my appointment and that doctor didn't say anything, and I felt kinda rushed and he set up an appointment for an MRI.

When I was checking out I asked about continuing my time off. They called the Doctor and he said Im cleared to go back, but I said I can't work with the splint and it hurts to add pressure to my wrist, and I have to push into the buffers at work.
    They called the nurse back and they said okay, if you're on short term and your regular doctor put you on short term, stay on.
    But now I'm getting scared that if the Short Term lady calls the doctor, the doctor will say I'm cleared back. I don't want the lady to think I'm lying.
    I have another appointment on Thursday, which I'll definitely bring up everything, even if I am rushed.

I just want this pain to end, and I don't need more anxiety over work and worrying about this whole thing.
    I cannot go on FMLA because I won't get paid, and I'm the only one working. I just really am scared that there was communication problems.
    Is there anything I could do to help the pain, and what to say to my doctor about work? Did anyone have to deal with disability and work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
    twohands
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
    Re: Wrist pain and work

My sympathies to you for the wrist pain and work problems you're having.

Regarding your wrist, have you had the MRI yet? What did it say, if anything? I had an MRI of my right wrist and found out I have ganglion cysts in it which can cause me nasty pain at times.

Regarding your short-term disability, I had to go onto it and eventually went onto permanent disability due to back problems. Some advice I'll give you is to get everything in writing - I know this is several weeks after you wrote this, but you can always contact a doctor's nurse/assistance to ask them for a work note in writing to protect yourself.

Also, to stay on any type of disability for any length of time you almost always need a medical diagnosis with medical reports that would support the diagnosis. I.e., if you are out due to wrist pain, you would need to have an x-ray or MRI that shows some type of problem such as ganglion cysts or a fracture.

I'd love to hear what's happened since you originally wrote this, and I'm hoping for the best for you.

Closed Thread

Tags
    short term disability, tendonitis, wrist, wrist pain