It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Anesthesia caused hallucinations ? Or what I remember really happened in recovery?.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
    shec123
    (female)

shec123 HB User
    Anesthesia caused hallucinations ? Or what I remember really happened in recovery?.

Friday I had wrist surgery. Typing with one hand. The anesthesiologist mentioned the surgeon recommended local with light sedation. I said would rather have something a bit stronger but not general ( anxiety at the thought of being close to awake. I was sedated so not awake but yet not general anesthesia.

What I recall...

. I woke up but still groggy when they were moving me from operating table to gurney. In recovery room one, i was half awake, groggy,fell asleep off and on.. I sort of remember looking back at the nurse monitoring me. She asked how was I . I said fine. Sort of remember her hair style, color., eyeglasses. At one point a man was talking about celebrities. I brought up Justin Bieber fiasco in Miami. The nurse made some response. Later the nurse mentioned to maybe another employee about calling my surgeon for something.".I tried calling the OR but the line was busy. "I faintly heard his voice, talking to the nurse. Came over..He asked me how are things? I replied good. He explained what he did.. Holding his fingers up in a o shape like he removed something, something about he had to cut nerve and restitch . Something to the effect everything looks beautiful on the inside.He walked away, I stetched my head back said thank you. This whole time my eyes felt heavy but seemed like I was semi awake.

I was moved to a secondary recovery where they eventually give you something to eat or drink.

I asked the secondary if I had a Neuroma in my wrist. She said no, the surgeon will explain at your follow up. Did my surgery take one and half hours..no she replied.

Closer to leaving, the recovery room one nurse walked by I recognized her, she smiled.

If I recall all of the above, does that mean I actually do remember or does anesthesia cause you to hallucinate these things?

Last edited by shec123; 01-31-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
    Re: Anesthesia caused hallucinations ? Or what I remember really happened in recovery

The thing about anesthesia is that when you start coming out of it, you're still pretty out of it. I don't think what you described was a hallucination, everything you said sounds like it most likely happened. Part of the reason why you can't remember clearly is that one of the drugs they give is like an amnesia drug so you lose all track of time. It takes a little time for that stuff to wear off after you start waking up. I've had multiple surgeries and the part that always surprises me is that all I can remember clearly is being awake and talking to people but at some point losing consciousness and next thing I know they're waking me up in recovery as if no time had passed from when I fell asleep. That's part of anesthesia to help you not be aware of what they are doing to you during the surgery.

Anyway, nothing you described sounds much different from all of my experiences. I had different conversations of course, but the whole -being half aware while still out of it and talking to the nurses while waking up in recovery- is what happened to me every time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
    shec123 (01-31-2014)
    Old 01-31-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
    shec123
    (female)

shec123 HB User
    Re: Anesthesia caused hallucinations ? Or what I remember really happened in recovery

Thanks Kszan! It sounds like it wasn't hallucinations and more or less really happened..conversations etc.

Tylenol 3's for pain are a different story and maybe some anesthesia left in me?..

My neighbour spoke to me a few days after surgery. Apparently I told her maybe the surgeon found nothing wrong with me and sewed me up. I'm sporting a half cast on the pinky side of forearm and wrist, goes over to underneath forearm all the way to palm. Another slab along thumb side wrist (where I had surgery..wrist area close to base of thumb)) with padding,gauze underneath, tensor bandage bridging the two slabs holding it together. I also had scar revision on then same surgical site ( previous surgery scar..ugly). She told me if he opened me up, nothing was wrong internally, I would have a way smaller bandage covering the incision ( including the scar revision procedure)and not two half slabs and all the above extras.The nurse would have told me nothing was found during surgery, leave the hospital sooner, or the surgeon would have told you nothing was wrong internally. She said Tylenol 3's must be warping my brain in a joking manner. I'm being careful how much I take.

Last edited by shec123; 02-03-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
    ray567
    (female)

ray567 HB User

I was under sedation several times since 2000, but there are two incidents where I remember bits and pieces during the sedation.. I was told by my doctor this happens often and is quite normal for some people to remember some things. So you probably weren't delusional.

Closed Thread