It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Wrist pain after sledding accident...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
    hrsweet75
    (female)

hrsweet75 HB User
    Wrist pain after sledding accident...

So last Friday (a week and a day ago) I went sledding, on a plastic sled down a 120' icy chute. I'm about 180lbs so do the math - I was going pretty fast down this chute. Once at the bottom I kept going and didn't know there was another chute opening, which I came down on top of. I dropped down about 3' and landed on my left wrist. I felt immediate pain and could not move my wrist. There is no major swelling and there is no bruising. I can move it but cannot grasp certain things (bottles, cans, anything over 7-8 oz or so), it's hard to buckle seat belt...you get the idea. I also have less movement now and less strength. The pain has gotten worse and there is a bump on top of my radial bone, towards the base...about 1 1/4" in length. Now the top of my hand hurts and there is an aching pain that goes to my elbow. This has been constant but the hand pain is newer, mainly when I use my fingers too much (like typing at work, doing things around the house, etc.)

I have insurance - but don't want to waste money going to doctor if it's just a sprain. Never had a broken bone so I don't know if that's what this is...possible fractured scaphoid and/or radial bone?

Need advise - not sure what to do. I've had it splinted for about 5 days and it's not really helping...and pain is getting worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
    growagourd
    (female)

growagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB Usergrowagourd HB User
    Re: Wrist pain after sledding accident...

That sounds painful and since you have medical insurance, I encourage you to get to the doctor! It sounds as if you need an xray to make sure there is not a break. Broken bones which are not properly set can lead to a life of pain and even disfigurement. Please use that insurance, as this is just what insurance is for.

Since the amount of time for a sprain to heal on its own has passed, please go in and get an xray... You are worth it!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
    shec123
    (female)

shec123 HB User
    Re: Wrist pain after sledding accident...

Please get it looked at. Hands/wrists are complicated with all the bones, tendons etc. You don't want future issues. I hope everything goes well. Please update us.

Closed Thread