It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• New technique for thumb basal joint repair

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    New technique for thumb basal joint repair

I've seen a surgeon who uses the "tightrope suspensionplasty" procedure. He said there are a couple of advantages over the traditional LRTI ("anchovy" procedure). One: no tendon is used. Two: healing is much faster - only 10 days in a cast (versus 6 weeks with LRTI) and full range of motion in 6 weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone here has had this procedure done or considered it? I've read a journal article that showed good results after 2 years but it seems like this is still a fairly new procedure.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
    sapers
    (female)

sapers HB User
    Re: New technique for thumb basal joint repair

I'm also researching that new method and read the 2010 article. As soon as possible I'm going to find more recent articles on it (I know there is one in 2014 and one in 2015, but I couldn't get into the full article on pubmed.)

I have talked to a doctor friend (not an orthopedic guy though), who read the article, and he agrees that mechanically this new way seems superior and the reduced recovery time (because you don't have to wait for scar tissue to fill in the trapezium hole before doing PT) make it very appealing. I am near two teaching hospitals (large, well-known), but I went to the head of hand surgery at both places and they both do the old method. Unfortunately I didn't know about the new one then so I didn't ask about it.

I'm determined to find someone who has some experience doing it (it's been done, I think, since about 2006) and to talk to them, though it may mean going somewhere out of town. It's clear that they don't have one great solution for this problem; it's not yet like knee or hip surgery, which they have better, more sure solutions for. Very annoying. I need to have both hands done but am very hesitant until I know more. I've been a guinea pig once before for something else, and I don't want to be that again (as the outcome was bad), but the new way for this problem seems to have possibly great potential. Please let me know if you find out more. And, if you are on the east coast, could you give me the name of the doc you saw? --thanks so much.

Sue

Old 02-19-2015, 03:49 AM   #3
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

I'm also on the East coast and scheduled for surgery in early March. I wish I had known about this procedure before setting it up, but from my research just now I couldn't find anyone who actually performs it. Maybe by the time I do my other thumb more surgeons will be on board.

Tess

Old 02-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
    sapers
    (female)

sapers HB User

I too have surgery scheduled but I'm going to cancel, as I don't want the long recovery time. All good wishes for yours in early March.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapers View Post
    I too have surgery scheduled but I'm going to cancel, as I don't want the long recovery time. All good wishes for yours in early March.
    I've since heard that the alternative surgery isn't really that well developed yet. I would rather go with something that's been around awhile and where the doc isn't just starting out trying to use a new procedure. My left thumb really can't wait as it's barely usable without a great deal of pain but maybe by the time I'm ready for my right thumb (in about a year or so) something will have concretized with the updated procedure.

Thanks for your well-wishes!

Tess

Old 02-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
    sapers
    (female)

sapers HB User

Yes, it's a quandary for me. I'm just going to pursue the new one a bit more before deciding. I too am in lots of pain and mine is in both hands. I'm so exhausted and fed up by it! Anyway, do post how it goes, and I'll let you know if I find out anything worth repeating!

Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #7
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapers View Post
    Yes, it's a quandary for me. I'm just going to pursue the new one a bit more before deciding. I too am in lots of pain and mine is in both hands. I'm so exhausted and fed up by it! Anyway, do post how it goes, and I'll let you know if I find out anything worth repeating!
    Please let me know if you come across any new info. I would really like to avoid surgery on my other(dominant) hand.

Tess

Closed Thread