It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• 7 weeks post op basal joint surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
    Normabb
    (female)

Normabb HB User
    7 weeks post op basal joint surgery

Hi there, we'll I went back to work wearing my cast three weeks out from surgery and I have never felt so much pain. I only work two days a week as a ob, gyn nurse and it took me the whole five days to recover. I start p t in three days and I am nervous. My thumb is stuck straight out with no movement and my dr told me not to mess with it until p t. I am wondering if anyone knows what happens at the first p t session and was anybody other hand sore . Thanks, norm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
    thyme85
    Inactive
    (female)

thyme85 HB Userthyme85 HB User
    Angry Re: 7 weeks post op basal joint surgery

Three weeks is pretty early to be back to such an active job, try not to use the hand at all, wear a sling if you have to to give people the message that you are in the very early days of healing from a major surgery. I am lucky to be retired, but doubt I could have worked for first 8 weeks.

Perfectly normal for the thumb to be stuck out and stiff, that's a good thing! First pt should be very gentle movement of all fingers, and some up and down of the wrist, no forcing anything, very slow progression of movement. Rest as much as you can afterwards, you are going to be sore.

Strengthening is down the road, don't worry, this is a slow and step by step path to regaining strength and motor skill. Forearm will also be weak, and perhaps shoulder also.

Keep up the elevation and icing, good moisturizer with chamomile or lavender, or arnica (but no arnica right on the incision). Ask pt about silicone patches for the scar, this is the best and is routine now. I kept ice on my hand thru 3 weeks of cast, 3 weeks of splint and 3 months of pt!

Takes about 6 months to be at good strength, so have patience and don't worry about soreness and stiffness or burning and numbness... it will slowly resolve and your oa pain is gone!

Keep us posted.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
    Normabb
    (female)

Normabb HB User
    Re: 7 weeks post op basal joint surgery

Thank you for your reply.. Did you have pain in your thumb joint of the hand that was not done because of all the use of it... It's killing me. I'm getting scared that it's next. Thanks again, norm

Old 02-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
    thyme85
    Inactive
    (female)

thyme85 HB Userthyme85 HB User

Yep, it is common to get pain from overuse in the unoperated hand, esp if you have oa in that hand. I am planning on having my right hand done, but am not looking forward to it.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #5
    Normabb
    (female)

Normabb HB User

Thank you for the information. I went to p t this week again and they told me to be active but careful with my hand. They bent mt wrist way down and did it hurt. My splint is very small now just covers the thumb joint. But still very painful. I'm not one to take pain meds but I feel like I need some. Thanks again. I have very good movement in my thumb now.

Closed Thread