It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Post-op complications after CMC Arthoplasty

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
    Kj773
    (female)

Kj773 HB User
    CMC Arthoplasty Complications

I currently am 3 mos post-op after CMC Arthoplasty. Complete removal of trapezium bone and full ligament reconstruction. Was progressing at an ok pace in PT when suddenly my thumb pain became bad again and my range of motion decreased instead of going the other way. I had a clean X-ray 1 mo ago and doc released me saying all was good and just keep exercising. Doctor said neuropathic pain & numbness in hand/thumb would lessen with time, but could last a year ( has been intense since immediately after surgery). So, that being said, why am I now experiencing new and increased pain? This is my 2nd surgery on same hand (1st one failed -was done Arthoscopic and surgeon said my own body rejected my rolled up tendon which then caused bony erosion to occur which had to be fixed). This has been a an 8 mo nightmare and my other hand is scheduled for operation in April. I thought I would be further along and ok by then, but probably will have to postpone that. Will be going back to doctor but am so scared he is going to tell me he needs to go in again.......Has anyone had any similar results?

Last edited by Kj773; 02-27-2014 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
    thyme85
    Inactive
    (female)

thyme85 HB Userthyme85 HB User
    Re: Post-op complications after CMC Arthoplasty

Kj, I had several setbacks in healing and regaining strength during the 6 months after this surgery, but this stiffness you are having sounds severe. Are you seeing a hand therapist? Mine was invaluable in troubleshooting the various difficulties that came up, and supportive when I became discouraged. Surgeons in general don't seem to have the same postop supportive skills.

Are you in a splint? Is it possible that you are overdoing and need to rest more?
    Can you take anti inflammatories? Are you trying to lift things with that hand? Are you doing the excercises too vigorously, which may be counterproductive.
    Ice and elevation are still helpful at this stage, for part of the day and evening. Also, fill sink or large bowl with warm water and gently move fingers and wrist around.

Your healing may go slowly esp considering this is the second surgery on the same joint, bad luck! I am hoping this is just a setback that you will soon get past. Keep us posted. L

Last edited by Administrator; 12-16-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
    Kj773
    (female)

Kj773 HB User
    Re: Post-op complications after CMC Arthoplasty

Thank you for your tips. I am so disgusted at this point. Had X-ray yesterday doc said all good and as it should be and to "Press On"). I had to actually pay him for that comment. I guess I have overused so I am trying to take it easy. I do have a hard splint so I can always use that. Time will tell. I have been in PT since late Dec, so I am headed back.

Closed Thread