It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Kienböck's disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
    jlgolf5
    (male)

jlgolf5 HB User
    Kienböck's disease

Has anyone ever had surgery for Kienböck's disease? Along with that Im also having Ulnar Shortening at the same time. What do I need to expect? beginning to get nervous.

Thanks,

John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Kienböck's disease

I can't speak on the Kienbock's. Hopefully you will find someone else who can.

I've had an Ulnar Osteotomy. 2 years ago. Healing from it is like healing from a broken bone. I spent 2 weeks in a plaster splint until the swelling went down and the stitches were removed. Then I spent 4 weeks in a fiberglass cast. Actually, I had that one changed after 2 weeks because more swelling went down and my hand was moving a ton. Anyway, the bone healed well.

I do have a 4 inch scar where the incision was made. My surgeon did a good job and the scar is nice straight and tight. I really appreciated that.

I did have to do some extended PT afterwards. I recommend seeking out a Certified Hand Therapist for that. Having regular good PT is critical to regaining your ROM quickly afterwards.

I had issues post-surgery and did end up having the plate removed 7 months later. Since then, I've done well and regained full ROM.

One thing I found that made my time in a cast so much easier was called a CastShield. It allowed me to easily protect my cast while I showered. I showered as soon as the day after surgery using it. Very easy to roll over the cast and up the arm. It seals tight.

With practice, I got good doing things left handed (my non-dominate hand). I figured if I could learn to put 6 elastics on my adult braces left handed, I could learn anything....those tiny things could shoot very far by the way.

I did end up having to change up my cooking for my cast time, but there were lots of options that made that doable.

After surgery, keep your hand elevated for several days. I found a stack of several pillows helped with that. Also, you can put an ice pack over the cast. Just leave it on a bit longer so the cold can go through the cast. It helps immensely with the swelling. I used my small Ninja to chop the ice before putting it in the ice bag. It ended up like snow and molded nicely around the cast.

Also, I wore elastic waist sweats for the first several days. After that, I figured out how to handle other things.

Good luck with your surgery and rehab.

Closed Thread