It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• cmc problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
    boheme
    (female)

boheme HB User
    cmc problems

I have had pain at the base of my right thumb for some time. I have been treated for this since 07, cortisone shots (3) and splinting. It is painful for no reason for a good while. Pain will run up my elbow to shoulder. Hurts when move wrist or thumb. What is the knot just below my thumb on my wrist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
    thyme85
    Inactive
    (female)

thyme85 HB Userthyme85 HB User
    Re: cmc problems

Were you told it was arthritis, which would cause the kind of pain you have, and could be the reason you have a bump near the wrist. Have you been offered physical therapy? Cmc arthritis usually progresses with loss of cartilage between the long bone in the thumb and the trapezium bone, causing inflammation, loss of strength, and mutations of the whole area.

It can actually hurt more while at rest, and in the evening. I have had the surgery called LRTI on my left hand and have no more pain. Need to do right hand, maybe in the fall.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
    boheme
    (female)

boheme HB User

Thank you

Yes, I knew it was arthritis. I have had a knee replacement in 2010. My job(operating my kennel) is quite physical and every day it hurts. I have worn splints and in 2007 my ortho. wanted to fuse the thumb. I said no then as I knew there not be good range of motion in my thumb. My recent cortisone injection only lasted about 2 weeks. I guess I am trying to ask if I should go ahead and have the surgery of LRTI or not. I know you can't say what I should do but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boheme View Post
    Thank you

Yes, I knew it was arthritis. I have had a knee replacement in 2010. My job(operating my kennel) is quite physical and every day it hurts. I have worn splints and in 2007 my ortho. wanted to fuse the thumb. I said no then as I knew there not be good range of motion in my thumb. My recent cortisone injection only lasted about 2 weeks. I guess I am trying to ask if I should go ahead and have the surgery of LRTI or not. I know you can't say what I should do but any suggestions would be appreciated.
    So far the splints you have worn & the cortisone injections you have had, have not helped you, so yes, you should consider having the LRTI surgery.
    Fusing your thumb would not have helped your pain & I salute you for not agreeing to have that done.
    If you have any further questions, dont hesitate to ask.
    Haydena.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
    boheme
    (female)

boheme HB User

Thank you so much for advising me. I have made an appointment with the Hand Group. They deal only in upper ortho problems of the hand and some elbow, shoulder problems. The Dr. I use to see started the Hand Group. I haven't seen him for a while will be interested in what he has to say. Ultimately it is my decision. I am tired of it being tolerable for a while, barely hurting, and the intense pain, splint on and holding my hand above my heart.

I really find feedback helpful as opposed to stewing about physical and mental issues.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
    Haydena
    Inactive
    (female)

Haydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB UserHaydena HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boheme View Post
    Thank you so much for advising me. I have made an appointment with the Hand Group. They deal only in upper ortho problems of the hand and some elbow, shoulder problems. The Dr. I use to see started the Hand Group. I haven't seen him for a while will be interested in what he has to say. Ultimately it is my decision. I am tired of it being tolerable for a while, barely hurting, and the intense pain, splint on and holding my hand above my heart.

I really find feedback helpful as opposed to stewing about physical and mental issues.
    Let us know how you managed with the hand group & how you are doing.
    Haydena.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
    boheme
    (female)

boheme HB User

I have gone to the hand surgeon. He really is very positive person. He seems genuinely concerned. He remembered me from 2007 and 2011.
    OK down to the nitty gritty. I am scheduled for surgery June 9th. He showed all the xrays and told me I had 3 bones that were bone on bone. He is going to remove the ? trapezium and scrape off some bone from the ? trapezoid?
    Will be put in hard cast because of the dogs and kennel. So here I go with more questions: The day of the surgery---when you get home how do you feel and what can you do? Play by play of the first week. I will have my dogs all over me. I love dogs, of course. I have 2 Belgian Sheepdogs; beauty, brains and possessive of their owner. My youngest, Victor, I would love to have shown in conformation. I have shown Belgians in the 90's. Don't know if I could make fairly fast route in the ring.
    Have to get off dogs or I could write a book. I have had the pleasure of caring for many four legged friends.

I believe Dr. Morgan told his nurse that the surgery was a cmr? Did I hear correctly

Appreciate any and all advice and info.

Thanks again
    So how long will it be before I can be in the play yards with the guests and feed etc.?

The surgeon said not to worry he has done this surgery many times but it is a 3 month recovery.

Anything else Like the little things. It is my none dominant right hand.

Closed Thread