It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• is my finger broken?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #1
    cherrylimeade
    (female)

cherrylimeade HB User
    is my finger broken?

Just trying to get some insight... I'm a bartender, and last night was moving some kegs. I lifted one that was probably too heavy for me (it weighed 158 pounds, almost as much as me, I know because weighing it was the reason for lifting it) and the keg slipped and crushed my right index finger between the keg and the shelf. Ouch!

The finger immediately started swelling and bruising in the area between the two bottom knuckles (right above my hand). However, I could move it (to do so was painful, but not intolerable). Over the next 24 hours, it has become increasingly bruised, but he pain has gotten better to the point where it hurts to move it some ways or touch it, but again, it is more an annoyance than a severe situation.

Reading about broken fingers, it seems that I have most of the symptoms, including a definite pain when I press on one point. I did feel numbness when it first started to swell, but that has since gone away. I'm just doubting that it is broken because the pain is not severe. I've heard that it would be intolerable if broken, but also heard that some breaks can produce lesser pain (and this is in a less used area of the finger).

And if it were broken, is it ok to let it just heal on its own if it doesn't affect me that much? Or will that cause problems? I don't want to be mandated off work for something that I can just push through until it is better, which is what would happen since I did it at work, any doctors note would have to be followed
    But I also don't want lasting damage because I thought an injury was minor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
    wat11
    Inactive
    (male)

wat11 HB User
    Re: is my finger broken?

Dear Cherrylimeade,
    This is probably not the answer you were looking for, but you really should get it x-rayed. Two reasons: The swelling could cut off the blood supply to the distal portion of your phalange and even if you tough the pain out, it may heal in the wrong position if it is a fracture. That could easily cause a permanent loss of ROM (Range Of Motion). Best of luck!

Closed Thread