It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• tfcc tear/shortening

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
    marlin33
    (male)

marlin33 HB Usermarlin33 HB User
    tfcc tear/shortening

So I have been to a few different dr over the last two years. Been in full arm and short arm casts, got shots, mri/xrays.....and so on.....I got three opinons...one dr wants to fix the tfcc tear, possible shorten the ulna....one dr wants to fix the tear and shorten the radius....last dr just wants to fix the tear....goood night! Im confused, sick of casting, and this issue needs to be fixed so i can get thru a day of work with no pain....now when I was 6 yrs old I fell outta a tree bout 25 ft and broke both ulna/radius, so they think thats the issue with shortening it healed wrong.....

How long is the recovery? how long am i outta work? one dr said i cant drive for three weeks....one said ill be casted again for 6-8 weeks then pt

Help??
    TMJ

The following user gives a hug of support to marlin33:
    MountainReader (06-13-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: tfcc tear/shortening

The ulnar shortening healing is the same timeframe as a regular standard broken bone...about 6 weeks. I can't speak on the TFCC tear though. They thought I had one, but when they got in there it was just tons of inflammation and debridement helped with that. For the shortening, I was driving the same day my fiberglass cast went on. I imagine 3 weeks is probably closer to accurate for the repairs too.

My best advice is to find a well trained, CERTIFIED Hand Therapist as you are healing. My Hand Therapists both told me the Ulnar Shortening rehab is a bit worse than some.

Good news for me though was that after over a year of pain, and a few hiccups, I was able to regain full ROM and was almost totally pain free.

I was back at work at 2 weeks.

My best friends through this...lots of slushy ice over the casts, and a Cast Cooler to keep the heat and itch down under the cast.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
    marlin33
    (male)

still in pain, the brace isnt working, and its hot in the summer to be casted, whats next?
    TMJ

Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Did you ever have the tear fixed? If not, it might need to be considered.

I started having problems in 2010/2011. I went over a year with my ulnar sided wrist pain with lots of splints, etc... before I had my surgery in April 2012. It took 2 tries and a bit of work healing, but I'm now pain free with full ROM again. I've stayed that way for over a year now.

If you end up needing a cast, I highly recommend trying a Cast Cooler. It is a highly useful tool if you have a vacuum with a hose on it. Helps cool and dry under the cast. If you can talk them into an Exos splint/cast, that would be helpful too since it has a cast hardness, but can be removed.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
    marlin33 (07-01-2014)
    Old 07-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
    marlin33
    (male)

I thought bout just fixing the tear but every medical professinal friend I have just said to do it all at once, I go back to my surgeon next thursday 7/10. See whats she says....I trust she seems smart.... I had a exos brace and got tired of it overheating in the truck and having to get it re fit all the time, so I sold it on ebay lol. I have another one for sale as well...I prefer the cast over it its more comfy.
    TMJ

Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #6
    jewl600
    (female)

jewl600 HB User

Hi there. I fell on my outstretched arm last November and have been thru Physical Therapy and it didn't work. I still have elbow pain radiating to my wrist. I had an MRI of the elbow and it did reveal evidence of mild ulnohumeral arthropathy, component of insertional tendinosis at the triceps, and component of distal radial, ulnar, and mid carpal DJD. My doc's impression of this is elbow and wrist degenerative joint disease, possible triangular fibrocartilage complex tear. This sounds like what you have?

The Following User Says Thank You to jewl600 For This Useful Post:
    marlin33 (07-03-2014)
    Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #7
    CameraGirl1112
    (female)

CameraGirl1112 HB User

Hello, I realize that this post was made quite a while ago, but I was wondering if I could get an update on how things went/what happened? I tore the central portion of my TFCC a little over a year ago. So far I've had two debridements and I'm having an Ulnar Shortening Osteotomy in ten days. I'm just wondering... has the pain from your TFCC tear gotten any better? Is your hand functional? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #8
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User

I had my tfcc and radius shortened, I had long arm casts before and after surgery to keep me outta pain, my dr said whatever I needed to be painfree. I had general and was in surgery for 3-4 hours then recovery for 2 then admitted because of pain and nausea for 3 days after, I freaked out about the nerve block and cath. I had a long arm cast for 3 months then a short arm for two and PT for three months. I had surgery in december 2014 and feel about 80%, now I have pain while sleeping probaly cuz I bend my wrist so I wear a brace or removable cast. I am very happy with my results. Althought I was casted for a long time I feel it was worth it, when I got the cast off in March, I reinjured the tfcc and had another cast till may, then pt. Becareful as your arm will be weak for a few months and reinjuring it will be easy. So far knock on wood the plate and 14 screw dont need to come out.

Read more: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/arm-wrist-hand/1009482-central-tfcc-tear-ulnar-impaction-syndrome.html#ixzz3mmj2zpoX

Closed Thread