It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Thumb fusion surgery this week

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
    huxleybama
    (female)

huxleybama HB User
    Thumb fusion surgery this week

greetings, this is my first posting. I am having my right thumb joint CMC joint ? on Thursday. I have very low platelets and will only be having a Bier block for my anesthesia. I am not being sedated. My question is: has anyone had this done with just a nerve block and no versed or sedation? I have a phobia of sedation, even light, and can manage on IV pain medication but assume with the block and the amount of time (was told it would be less than an hour. I appreciate any responses. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    Re: Thumb fusion surgery this week

Hi huxleybama, I don't have any information about that type of block. I had a supraclavicular nerve block for my recent CMC surgery. My whole arm was numb and I was lightly sedated. Typically you speak with the anesthesiologist before surgery so you can ask any questions you may have and get reassurance about what will happen. It sounds like your doctor is well aware of your concerns. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by mod85; 07-06-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typo

Old 07-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
    RedBird51
    (female)

RedBird51 HB UserRedBird51 HB User

Good luck with your surgery. I believe mine was the same as Huxley mentioned where the whole arm was numb with minimal sedation. Had my left hand done on 5-28-14. It went well. They put a cover between you and the surgery spot so as not to witness as it happens. I like not having the effects of general anesthesia afterward. However, I did not fare well with pain meds. Got off those in three to four days. And yes, the length of surgery was surprisingly short. Wish you well Thursday.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
    huxleybama
    (female)

huxleybama HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RedBird51 View Post
    Good luck with your surgery. I believe mine was the same as Huxley mentioned where the whole arm was numb with minimal sedation. Had my left hand done on 5-28-14. It went well. They put a cover between you and the surgery spot so as not to witness as it happens. I like not having the effects of general anesthesia afterward. However, I did not fare well with pain meds. Got off those in three to four days. And yes, the length of surgery was surprisingly short. Wish you well Thursday.
    Thank you both for your replies and encouragement.

The following user gives a hug of support to huxleybama:
    stamm678 (07-07-2014)
    Old 07-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by huxleybama View Post
    Thank you both for your replies and encouragement.
    Let us know how it goes for you! I'll be thinking of you on Thursday.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
    huxleybama
    (female)

huxleybama HB User

Thanks to those who shared. My thumb fusion was on Aug 7--they used a Bier Block so I was wide awake--a tad bit of morphine for the tourniquet pressure. The tourniquet was on 81 minutes, just shy of the limit of 90 I was told. Two weeks tomorrow and I still have severe pain. a soft cast until next week when a hard cast will be put on, I think. I can type--telework, using my left hand and three fingers on the right. I was wondering if anyone on the board continued to have pain after surgery? I have regular stitches that will be removed next week. was told not to drive -- living in metro DC it is hard enough with two hands :).

Again, thanks to all for encouragement and replies.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
    stamm678
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by huxleybama View Post
    Thanks to those who shared. My thumb fusion was on Aug 7--they used a Bier Block so I was wide awake--a tad bit of morphine for the tourniquet pressure. The tourniquet was on 81 minutes, just shy of the limit of 90 I was told. Two weeks tomorrow and I still have severe pain. a soft cast until next week when a hard cast will be put on, I think. I can type--telework, using my left hand and three fingers on the right. I was wondering if anyone on the board continued to have pain after surgery? I have regular stitches that will be removed next week. was told not to drive -- living in metro DC it is hard enough with two hands .

Again, thanks to all for encouragement and replies.
    I hope your pain has diminished some. I had mild to moderate pain for several weeks after my surgery (trapeziectomy with ligamentous reconstruction). I had stitches removed on day 9 at which time I got a rigid splint, which I had to wear constantly. By the fourth week I was driving and feeling less pain, though still some intermittent stabbing pains.

The therapist who took out the stitches told me that by week 12, I would feel like the surgery had been worth it. Looking back (I'm now just past 16 weeks), I'd say that was right on the money. The first few weeks are rough, then you gradually improve after that. Keep taking it one day at a time but if ever you think you have unusual pain, give your doctor's office a call. Remember to keep the hand elevated above the heart all the time (really, 24/7) for at least the first 6 weeks, since swelling is a major cause of pain.

Good luck!

Closed Thread