It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Left hand basal arthroplasy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
    Normabb
    (female)

Normabb HB User
    Left hand basal arthroplasy

Can anybody please give me some feedback on this subject . I was wondering if anybody knows how the hand should feel after six months of healing.my hand has a small bumb on the top of where the new tendon was placed. I'm scared it has failed because it really is sore. Any ideas or clues as to if this is normal? Thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to Normabb For This Useful Post:
    Ravin835 (07-21-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    Re: Left hand basal arthroplasy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Normabb View Post
    Can anybody please give me some feedback on this subject . I was wondering if anybody knows how the hand should feel after six months of healing.my hand has a small bumb on the top of where the new tendon was placed. I'm scared it has failed because it really is sore. Any ideas or clues as to if this is normal? Thank you
    Normabb, I am 11 weeks post-surgery so I have no experience yet about what things are like at 6 months. There are people here who have been through this and hopefully will add their wisdom.

Let me ask a few questions, though. How long has it been sore? Is it getting worse or staying the same? When did you last see your surgeon and were the bump & soreness present at that visit or have they developed since then? It sounds to me like a visit to the doctor is warranted.
    Linda

Old 07-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
    Normabb
    (female)

Normabb HB User

Thanks for your reply.. How are you doing at 11 weeks.. My hand is weak but I can move really good. Dull pain always. Have you heard that something to the effect that the tendon ball can pop out.. That is what has me scared. The ball just feels rubber like feeling and the pain has calmed down now that I have not done anything for a week with it.. I heard it takes a good eighteen months to get better.. My right hand in next in November.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User

Quote:
    It would be really rare for this surgery to fail, and I think you would have many more symptoms than soreness and a bump. However, if I were you I would want to know what is going on and set up appt with the surgeon. A bump could be from a lot of different things and should be checked out. Hopefully it is nothing, but I have heard of a rare instance of a neuroma forming after this surgery.

How are you doing with strenght, pinch and grip?

Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
    Normabb
    (female)

Normabb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ravinswift View Post
    It would be really rare for this surgery to fail, and I think you would have many more symptoms than soreness and a bump. However, if I were you I would want to know what is going on and set up appt with the surgeon. A bump could be from a lot of different things and should be checked out. Hopefully it is nothing, but I have heard of a rare instance of a neuroma forming after this surgery.

How are you doing with strenght, pinch and grip?
    My strength is coming back, pinch and grip good. What's a neuroma? What hand did you have done.? How is your hand looking ?

Old 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
    Ravin835
    (female)

Ravin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB UserRavin835 HB User

Quote:
    My strength is coming back, pinch and grip good. What's a neuroma? What hand did you have done.? How is your hand looking ?
    I had left, nondominant hand done in March, 2013. After a rough start in recovering due to nerve pain and infected incision, it took 10 months to get to the point where I was happy with strength and dexterity. I have some stiffness which seems to be permanent now, but no pain, which for me is a great outcome.
    I also had wrist pain starting around 6 months which I believe was a result of weak forearm due to the tendon removal, and it is gone now.
    Hope you are doing better, are you considering seeing the surgeon about the bump and soreness?

Old 08-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
    RedBird51
    (female)

RedBird51 HB UserRedBird51 HB User

Norm,
    I am at 10 weeks and working through 1st round of OC therapy. I would not begin to know what issues are prevalent at 6 months, but if you are concerned about the bump rising, I also think it wise to check it out with the doctor. Better to go in and find out it is nothing, than to ignore and find out too late it was something that needed attention. I wish you the best.
    Ravinswift, thank you for mentioning the neuroma. I googled it and found out it is a swelling of tissue around nerves. These tend to be associated with post surgery I read. I have a nodule type bubble on the inside base of thumb now that was not there before and will question my doctor about this when I have my 12 week check up.

Closed Thread