It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Pain after a month of metal plate in arm

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
    susieD58
    (male)

susieD58 HB User
    Pain after a month of metal plate in arm

Hi All,

Hoping to hear from your experiences if your running into the same issue.

2 months back, I fell on my wrist and fractured my bone. Unfortunately, I have osteoporosis so the bone fractured way too easily.

Last month, i had surgery and had a metal plate added in my arm. However, the pain is unbearable, it does not seem to ever die down. I've just recently started physiotherapy, and I feel its getting worse (not better). I'm supposed to work my hand until the point that it hurts and I cry, but every time I do it gets more inflamed and red.

Wanted to hear from your experiences if you've run into the same scenario, if it is something I should worry about. I'm trying to avoid taking too many painkillers, and I really want to do anything I can to help the hand heal up.

So any recommendations? Things to try out on my arm, maybe medications, or should I just go to the ER?

Thanks so much,
    Susie

Last edited by susieD58; 08-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to susieD58:
    stamm678 (08-06-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
    WoodsWalker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
    Re: Pain after a month of metal plate in arm

I had pain for quite some time after surgery.( June 16th) The first 3 weeks of OT were pretty painful. Now 2 weeks out of OT, and only minor discomfort now and then. The pain just seemed to leave almost suddenly.
    It felt like I was never going to heal. But it did happen.

Wish you luck, hang in there. If the pain is really that severe and you need peace of mind don't hesitate to call your surgeon and talk. Maybe having it looked at will ease your mind if everything is normal?

Closed Thread