It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Arm, Wrist & Hand Message Board

• Scaphoid Fracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
    radubirsan
    (male)

radubirsan HB User
    Scaphoid Fracture

I have a Scaphoid Fracture, I got a cast that is up to the middle distance between my wrist and my elbow. Is this right?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User
    Re: Scaphoid Fracture

Quote:
    Originally Posted by radubirsan View Post
    I have a Scaphoid Fracture, I got a cast that is up to the middle distance between my wrist and my elbow. Is this right?
    I had a fracture of my distal scaphoid and was in a hard cast like you describe for 6 weeks. I wore a hard splint off and on after that (but can't remember for how long). The scaphoid is one of the many wrist bones and for proper healing, the entire wrist needs to be immobilized, hence the extensive cast.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
    radubirsan
    (male)

radubirsan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stamm678 View Post
    I had a fracture of my distal scaphoid and was in a hard cast like you describe for 6 weeks. I wore a hard splint off and on after that (but can't remember for how long). The scaphoid is one of the many wrist bones and for proper healing, the entire wrist needs to be immobilized, hence the extensive cast.
    Thank you, my problem is that my cast is to short I think it allows for to much arm rotation

Last edited by radubirsan; 08-20-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
    stamm678
    (female)

stamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB Userstamm678 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by radubirsan View Post
    Thank you, my problem is that my cast is to short I think it allows for to much arm rotation
    My cast was halfway between wrist & elbow but it covered my thumb and stopped just short of my fingers. I couldn't rotate at the wrist at all. Can you call your doctor's office to ask about your arm rotating?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
    BUD778
    (male)

BUD778 HB User

if youre worried theres too much arm rotation, go back to the dr and a get a full arm cast I was in several when I broke my scaphoid, if the bone doenst heal right it will die or be very painful.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
    doihavepcos
    (female)

doihavepcos HB User

Yes a scaphoid fracture cast is never above the elbow but it should immobilise your wrist and prevent movement such as this. your scaphoid articulates with your radius. When you rotate your wrist your radius and ulna move but this ultimately could interfere with your scaphoid healing due to the radius/scaphoid articulation. The scaphoid has a funny blood supply and needs the best possible chance to heal... I'd go back and get a new cast put on asap!

Closed Thread

Tags
    scaphoid fracture